Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Re: Flu jabs

Same here, Jem, and not just anecdotal: the woman across from me at work, and a neighbor down the block; both got the flu within 6 or so days of the shot!!
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Hubby and I are in the 'at risk' category and although we are not in the age group to qualify for it foc, we do get it foc as we both have diabetes. As of yet we have not been informed when the walk in clinics are to be. But we will make sure we attend.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jem
It's free over here to the over 60's. I never got it. but know lots of people who did and still got the 'flu.
Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Same here, Jem, and not just anecdotal: the woman across from me at work, and a neighbor down the block; both got the flu within 6 or so days of the shot!!
I understand it takes from 10-21 days for the vaccine to become effective so it is possible to catch a strain of flu in the interim period .
The vaccine is made up of a cocktail of different strains which the W.H.O. expect to be circulating that particular year so you should be protect from more than one strain

This years vaccine should also give cover against swine flu as well as seasonal flu.

http://www.boots.com/en/Seasonal-Flu...136/#question5
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wonda ->
Hubby and I are in the 'at risk' category and although we are not in the age group to qualify for it foc, we do get it foc as we both have diabetes. As of yet we have not been informed when the walk in clinics are to be. But we will make sure we attend.
Me too Wonda darlin' - I am a chronic Asthmatic and my lungs are badly scarred by pulmonary emboli too so I am also in the 'at risk' category. As and when my surgery notifies me that they are commencing the annual 'flu jab' I too will make an appointment.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Same here really, in the "at risk" category and have had the free jab for years since being hospitalised with Pneumonia some years back.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 12:36 PM

I've only had "proper" flu once and I wouldn't like to get that again. I've never felt so bad in all my life ..... I was laid up for almost two weeks and on the third week I used to get dizzy spells just walking across the room.

I have my jab regularly every year, I'm in and out the surgery in a minute and never feel any discomfort whatsoever. Well worth having!
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 02:39 PM

There is only one "proper flue" Mags, people think they have flue if they just have a bad cold, I have had flue, and it is a lot worse than a cold. I was bedridden for days, and aching from head to toe.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
There is only one "proper flue" Mags, people think they have flue if they just have a bad cold, I have had flue, and it is a lot worse than a cold. I was bedridden for days, and aching from head to toe.
Quite true Jimmy, I'm amazed at the number of people who say they have the flu when it's just a head cold ...... for a start they would be unable to walk around outdoors if they had it...
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 05:27 PM

Had my letter today, phoned the surgery and their stocks don't arrive until 10th Oct so am booked in on that day. The two cats injections are also due in October so we will all be getting the needle!!!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I think many people mistake a respiration tract infection or cold for flu. I would say the old saying is a good indication of what illness you actually have...
'if you see a £20 note on the floor and can pick it up you have a cold, if you have flu you can't be bothered and leave it where it is.'

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top