Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 12:27 PM

Re: Do you have a favourite soap?

Imperial Leather for me when I have my annual shower...........
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Yep, Simple soap for me too. I also use their moisturiser as an aftershave balm.
Ah yes. The SIMPLE range of products. They sound so wonderfully . . . healthy and simple and free from bad stuff right?

Ingredients

Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid.

Oh dear !

Tetrasodium EDTA

https://www.truthinaging.com/ingredi...trasodium-edta

"The Cosmetics Database considers Tetrasodium EDTA a low to moderate hazard ingredient, depending on its usage. It notes concerns regarding cancer, enhanced skin absorption, organ system toxicity and irritation (due to animal studies that showed skin irritation at low doses). It is classified as a high human health priority and expected to be toxic or harmful"

"Tetrasodium EDTA has been found to be an ecotoxin, however. "Widespread use of EDTA and its slow removal under many environmental conditions has led to its status as the most abundant anthropogenic compound in many European surface waters ... and has emerged as a persistent organic pollutant" (Wikipedia)."

Time to rethink that soap imho.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
I have used Caress Daily Silk soap for years. Love how it makes my skin feel. Have used both the bar soap years ago, and now the body wash, too.
Caress Daily Silk Soap

Ingredients

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Water (Agua), Lauric Acid, Sodium Isethionate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Fragrance (Fragancia), Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Silk, Prunus Persica (Peach) Fruit Extract,  Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Extract, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Red 4 (CI 14700), Yellow 10 (CI 47005)

About Titanium Oxide

http://www.organicmakeup.ca/ca/titaniumdioxide.asp
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

10-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Hard to go past Coles Pure Soap at $1.60 (80p) for six tablets (I'm using one). Made in Australia too.

Coles Pure Soap

Ingredients:

Sodium Tallowate, water, sodium cocoate, glycerine, fragrance, sodium chloride, titanium dioxide, etidronic acid, tetrasodium EDTA
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 05:26 PM

I make a lemon-almond liquid soap that we use for showering and hand washing.

My concerns are always about animal testing and potentially harmful ingredients.

I also like the fact that unlike bar soap, the liquid soap doesn't create buildup or leave residue in the baths and showers.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:59 PM

I don’t like highly scented soap. I prefer more natural ingredients. I never use soap on my face, just Pond’s Cream.

When l was at my daughter’s house in London a few weeks ago. In the bathroom and kitchen, they had some really lovely Hand Wash, it was slightly gritty.
I noted its name ‘Aesop’ and thought, l must get some. I googled it and couldn’t believe it was £27 for a 500ml bottle.

I asked my daughter, how could she and her two housemates afford such expensive hand wash.
She explained one of her housemates works in Harrods and the bottles were free samples!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 12:15 AM

Sorry I have been drinking.
Eastenders for me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Coles Pure Soap

Ingredients:

Sodium Tallowate, water, sodium cocoate, glycerine, fragrance, sodium chloride, titanium dioxide, etidronic acid, tetrasodium EDTA
Never mind, I promise I will wear my Realist approved Foil Beanie while I wash. OK?

ETDA appears in soap in less than 1 part in 5000 and, while the loonies fret and rave about it's inclusion, if it weren't there the the soap would go rancid it no time and be far less effective as cleaning agent.

Let's face it - what are the main ingredients in soap? Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide) and fat or oil - Something you clean the drains with yet you worry about something that comprises less than 0.02%? Get real!

The most dangerous ingredient in the list you didn't mention - Water - that kills thousands of people every year, particularly children. You better get on that bandwagon too.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 03:20 AM

and Bruce hands out the first of many woollen gongs award for this year and the winner is realist for trying to frighten the kiddies again!
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 03:21 AM

I will continue to use my soap, it makes my skin happy for over 60 years now, and no ill effects at all.
Why would I ever go to all the trouble of making soap when I should be concerned over ingredients in foods, or other truly immediate issues.

I never saw a death certificate with cause of death...soap

All things in moderation.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top