Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 07:28 AM

Airports - the Invention of the Devil?

Coming back from Italy we passed throuh Malpensa airport near Milan. Our coach dropped us of at the near end of the airport and we had to walk about 200m to get to our check-in desk......just the one. After another 40mins queuing we then had to walk back to where we had come from, down an escalator and another 5 mins walk to passport and security. After half undressing and a 10 minute queue we then had another 5mins walk to the departure lounge. Ultimately our plane was an hour and 20 mins late in taking off. Surely this could be better organised.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 07:43 AM

Re: Airports - the Invention of the Devil?

The terrorist are having a field day,a credible intelligence was picked up about using tablets or mobile phones as a bomb and now its alleged you can't go through with one unless its fully charged.Of course I realise they have to take it serious but unless fully charged come on,more and more delays.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Alan I think you'll find most airports are the same these days due to the extra security checks that have become necessary.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
The terrorist are having a field day,a credible intelligence was picked up about using tablets or mobile phones as a bomb and now its alleged you can't go through with one unless its fully charged.Of course I realise they have to take it serious but unless fully charged come on,more and more delays.
I understood that it just has to be charged and demonstrably usable, but not fully charged, which surely is impossible for some people with battery guzzling phones.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 11:05 AM

I have to say I hate the whole airport experience. Give me a train or a car journey anytime.

I only use airports to get from A to B because I need to.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 11:39 AM

After spending the last 8 years of my life "commuting" nearly 2000 miles to work I decided I was sick and tired of everything to do with travelling by plane and that when I retired it would be to a country where I could travel abroad either by car, bus, train or boat, which is one of the reasons I chose to live in Hungary.

One of the joys of living here is that I can jump into my car and be in Slovakia in half an hour or the Ukraine in an hour. Romania, Austria, the Czech Republic and Germany are an easy day's drive away, as is southern Poland.

Lots to explore without the hassle of airports!
Jenheiffer
New Member!
N.Ireland
Jenheiffer is female 

09-07-2014, 02:21 PM

I don't mind going through 'Security' so much if the staff there aren't nasty and rude. The last time I flew from Manchester Airport the luggage checking section were civil enough but the Gestapo on the way into the lounge were unbelievably unpleasant. They treated everyone like a criminal being admitted to a top security Gaol.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 09:05 PM

JFK need I say more? You just knew they think you're hiding something, when you arrived, they took ages! Last time I flew back from there, I had a laptop and six rolls of wallpaper in my case & they opened it! Cheek!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Coming back from Italy we passed throuh Malpensa airport near Milan. Our coach dropped us of at the near end of the airport and we had to walk about 200m to get to our check-in desk......just the one. After another 40mins queuing we then had to walk back to where we had come from, down an escalator and another 5 mins walk to passport and security. After half undressing and a 10 minute queue we then had another 5mins walk to the departure lounge. Ultimately our plane was an hour and 20 mins late in taking off. Surely this could be better organised.
Alan, what you have described is typical of modern day airline travel, when younger I traveled by air all over the world and in the sixties you were treated like a VIP (which ever class you were in) now it's just herding cattle around.

There is an answer 'tho - I have vowed to never fly again, get yourself a motorhome and you can go anywhere in Europe at your own pace, stay wherever you want for free (or for a few Euros) and never have to sufer the indignities of the overcrowded, noisy, smelly airports or sit next to some obnoxious passenger for hours, it's the only way to go, believe me
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
One of the joys of living here is that I can jump into my car and be in Slovakia in half an hour or the Ukraine in an hour. Romania, Austria, the Czech Republic and Germany are an easy day's drive away, as is southern Poland.
Completely agree, I've just done England to Czechland via France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland stopping in my motorhome at Stellplatz or dedicated motorhome camp sites where I met people from Hungary, Italy, Spain as well as those from the countries I was in.

I didn't have to go through any security machines, remove any of my clothing, or even show my passport, and best of all I didn't have spend hours next to some smelly, obnoxious, passenger telling me his life story

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top