Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Re: Fear of Flying

You have to careful about sleeping too deeply and not moving round the aircraft regulary as I believe that is how DVT can occur.

Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Warning

Erica Jong's book Fear of Flying is a good read but of little help.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 12:18 PM

Years ago when I flew to the UK on a more regular basis I found that drinking the free grog for the first half of the journey and sleeping it off on the second half passed the time admirably.

Flying QANTAS used to help too (never lost a passenger) though these days I fly Malaysian Airlines and they have mislaid few recently.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
You have to careful about sleeping too deeply and not moving round the aircraft regulary as I believe that is how DVT can occur.

Wearing compression socks/stockings also help in preventing clots. Unlike conventional panty hose, these special stockings compress from the bottom of the leg to encourage blood flow.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 12:48 PM

So it was you sitting in front of me Bruce!

I wear compression socks too. Plenty of of rotating ankle exercises.

Alcohol is supposed to be bad because it dehydrates you when flying.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 02:19 PM

When people say they are afraid of flying is the whole experience,take off,landing,turbulence or just one or two of those listed,myself its no problem, a means to and end.10 hr flight to Mexico tomorrow.Tequila!
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Frightened by everything. Locked in a metal tune being propelled at great speed 37,000 ft above earth. I didn't use to be afraid, and I can relate the turning point. I was flying back from Germany on my own, and four months pregnant,in 1968. Having left my husband at Dusseldorf airport. Only English person on board and flying in a Trident. Not able to talk to fellow passengers and, for those that know a Trident, the engines are on the tail fin. They build up noise, and then the engine noise dies back. This got to me...........and this was the start of my fear.

Saying that it is a means to an end, and I have just had to cope. I have travelled most of South and North America, Asia, Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and everything in between. Thank goodness for my happy pills, really wish I wasn't so terrified. I am so envious of anyone who isn't.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 04:28 PM

I don't get this fear of flying no one has ever been left up there.
Now fear of crashing that's a whole different ball-game.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 04:31 PM

My first flight ever was at the age of 41 - never even been to an airport before. I couldn't wait to get on the plane. I flew all the way from Heathrow to Australia and loved it. No fear at all.
Celyn
Hampshire

22-08-2014, 06:55 PM

No one has been left up there VM, true. It's the way you come down which is important. Unfortunately to come down you have to go up in the first place.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top