Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 01:34 PM

Re: All inclusive holidays ?

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
So glad you said that , Anita , I can assure we most certainly not.To be frank I have never encountered anyone else like that , where I have been. Suppose it depends which end of the market you are at.
It's like anything else Apricot, it's great unless it's abused. I think the whole idea works very well for many people who just enjoy their holiday.
Sadly seeing the bad behaviour of some kick in can give it a very different feel.
However I wouldn't single out one particular group of people for this, some of the most shocking behaviour regarding food I've seen was in Australia at a buffet restaurant which served beautiful food but it was served buffet style and a family wasted so much food and left an appalling mess.
They had several main courses and about 3 or 4 desserts each most of which only had a small amount eaten and loads on the floor which they were walking in and then trailing the mess all the way to the buffet.
I think its realising how many people are starving and seeing those ads on TV with little babies who are slowly dying of malnutrition that makes the greed of others so horrible to witness.
A lot of us eat too much anyway but it can get out of hand on Holiday sometimes.
There is nothing wrong with enjoying yourself or having treats on holiday but a little bit of restraint and teaching children a few manners would be nice.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I love them , think they are good value, but then we mainly want to be in and around the hotel, no particular desire to wander off. Just want to relax, dip, sip, eat and chat . Which is exactly what I will be doing from Monday onwards for a fortnight.
Is that tomorrow, or next week? Hope you have a fab relaxing time. Envious. Sun. Ooooohhh...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 08:45 PM

I prefer HB so days out can be spent in full. Though I can enjoy the odd bit of sunbathing, nice though it is, there is much to see if in a foreign country. Isn't that one of the reasons we go?
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I prefer HB so days out can be spent in full. Though I can enjoy the odd bit of sunbathing, nice though it is, there is much to see if in a foreign country. Isn't that one of the reasons we go?
Yes I think so, Greece are thinking of getting rid of AI holidays as local restaurants and businesses in the resorts where there is a large AI hotel are doing badly.
I know that in counties like Egypt practically none of the money spent by tourists goes to Egyptians as the hotels are large international AI resorts.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 05:35 PM

I have been on all inclusive holidays, and it depends on where you go and the location of the hotel. You might find the hotel out on a limb and not near any other restaurants, or shops.
I also find that having to buy drinks at a bar, is the one thing that soon eats up the money even if it is only a soft drink or beer, so I like being able to order a drink when I want one, and I never saw any drunkenness because of free drinks policy.

Have a funny story of the first time we went to Greece with free drinks in hotel, we took Mum with us and she loved a whisky and water in the evening.
Hubby went up to the bar and asked for Whisky and water and was given a tumbler FULL of Whisky and another full of water - Mum's face was a picture, and we had to get another empty tumbler in order to mix them.
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 06:04 PM

WE like different types of holidays, but late spring early summer hubby likes to have a relaxing holiday, and one that we have paid for up front so no nasty credit card shocks later, so for the past three years we have booked AI in Greece and have really enjoyed them. Not so much last year as it was a family hotel, but this year we have booked again for a Couples only hotel so mealtimes should be much more civilised. WE have used the same group of hotels as we trust the quality and ambience of the place and are looking forward to two weeks in Crete in June. We will hire a car for two or three days and explore and get out of the hotel, but that will probably be enough. If there are tavernas that we like the look of within walking distance we will probably go for a drink there.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by PennyW ->
WE like different types of holidays, but late spring early summer hubby likes to have a relaxing holiday, and one that we have paid for up front so no nasty credit card shocks later, so for the past three years we have booked AI in Greece and have really enjoyed them. Not so much last year as it was a family hotel, but this year we have booked again for a Couples only hotel so mealtimes should be much more civilised. WE have used the same group of hotels as we trust the quality and ambience of the place and are looking forward to two weeks in Crete in June. We will hire a car for two or three days and explore and get out of the hotel, but that will probably be enough. If there are tavernas that we like the look of within walking distance we will probably go for a drink there.

That's great ! Food for thought !

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top