Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 06:39 PM

Buy With Confidence

After the ordeal for Mups with Tradesmen - I can across this advice to help us find reliable tradesmen and goods .....
Buywithconfidence.gov.uk
Here is the link ...................

https://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 06:47 PM

Re: Buy With Confidence

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
After the ordeal for Mups with Tradesmen - I can across this advice to help us find reliable tradesmen and goods .....
Buywithconfidence.gov.uk
Here is the link ...................

https://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/
Hi Patsy, I've used this site a few times but - and there's always a but!! - we had a plumber who never turned up and a builder who said he'd be here at 9 ....... still waiting...

We have had good experiences though, too, so would use it again and nothing's perfect is it? There's also mediation available if there is a problem, I believe.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 06:52 PM

Oh no ! I thought I'd found the answer !
Back to the drawing board then ................
Thanks for the info though ..............
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 07:41 PM

Patsy I can't get anything at all on there for my area, perhaps it is only 'populated ' in a few areas yet.

I have used 'Which Local' ..
(I can't link my name keeps coming up)

'Yell' (the old yellow pages online is another good one)
http://www.yell.com/

and the 'Age UK' local list but it now only covers a few areas
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter...ess-directory/

Even then there have been problems with tradesmen not turning up ...
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Hi Patsy, I've used this site a few times but - and there's always a but!! - we had a plumber who never turned up and a builder who said he'd be here at 9 ....... still waiting...

We have had good experiences though, too, so would use it again and nothing's perfect is it? There's also mediation available if there is a problem, I believe.
I used the site when I needed work done on my kitchen, he charged me a fortune and went missing for most of the time leaving the work to be done by his employee, never again!
I'd go on personal recommendations next time
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 10:27 PM

We use checkatrade and ratedpeople, but you still have to be careful TBH I doubt there is a really guaranteed way to get work done even with personal recommendation we had a problem the person just never turned up.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 10:44 PM

I feel sorry sometimes for the miscreants on Cowboy Builders etc, you secretly know some Clients are impossible in their expectation.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 10:51 PM

I agree with that Spitty but some of us just have problems getting a builder to turn up to quote for a job not something we have done wrong stopping them.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I feel sorry sometimes for the miscreants on Cowboy Builders etc, you secretly know some Clients are impossible in their expectation.

When OH had his company a man wanted a new bathroom .. Then he asked for a shower and screen. He showed OH the screen he wanted and ringed it in a brochure. OH pinted out it was a bath screen not a shower screen but the customer very rudely pointed out that he was paying and that was what he wanted..

So OH fitted the bath screen and of course it leaked so the customer refused to pay calling OH a peasant and an ignorent churl..
We took him to court where he repeated his insults.. OH produced the brochure and the judge asked the man if it was his signiture and markings on the brochure indicating the bath screen..
He said yes. The judge ordered him to pay the bill plus costs.

Im sure he told all his mates OH was a rogue trader but in fact he was a rogue customer.. and thats a story you never hear .
Some of the things Ive heard and seen would make your hair curl.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-05-2015, 11:00 PM

I don't doubt it sadly people often think they know best when they really don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top