Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 11:54 PM

Re: Buy With Confidence

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We use checkatrade and ratedpeople, but you still have to be careful TBH I doubt there is a really guaranteed way to get work done even with personal recommendation we had a problem the person just never turned up.
The one I had was on Rated People too!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 02:28 AM

Cant beat word of mouth, theres them that know, and them that dont know, and them that dont know, they dont know. Im glad i live up here.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 06:21 AM

Oh dear - what a shambles
Trying to find good reliable people - is daunting ................
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 07:09 AM

It certainly is, Patsy. I have my trusted plumber to install the bathroom suite if I want to do the bathroom, but no tiler. And who to choose from, from those recommended to other folk asking the question, especially on Streetlife?

At the moment I don't have word of mouth to go by. I even toyed with the idea of learning myself.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 08:26 AM

A few years ago I had double glazing installed . The installer was covered by "fensa" insurance to protect me for ten years . I received all the documents.

Three months later my bedroom window was falling out . I tried to contact the local company , they had gone into liquidation. I contacted fensa, I had to do so much paperwork , they insisted I proove the liquidation. I had to apply to companies house for evidence. Then my fight began. They first said the fensa documents had not been properly completed. Then said that certain things were not covered . Eventually the window was fixed in properly .

Three months later , one by one the Windows blew and let in water . I had three blown Windows replaced , with more arguments and eventually they refused to replace more blown Windows after 3 years . I've since paid out myself to have two more replaced .

When I purchased the double glazing I thought I was protected .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 08:27 AM

I found my lovely plumber on 'Which Local', the drawback with him is he is always busy so a wait is required if you use him.

When fitting my new shower it turned out to be a bigger job than originally anticipated because of the need to change the wiring and he enlisted his father to help get the wiring through the cavity wall and charged not a penny more.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
A few years ago I had double glazing installed . The installer was covered by "fensa" insurance to protect me for ten years . I received all the documents.

Three months later my bedroom window was falling out . I tried to contact the local company , they had gone into liquidation. I contacted fensa, I had to do so much paperwork , they insisted I proove the liquidation. I had to apply to companies house for evidence. Then my fight began. They first said the fensa documents had not been properly completed. Then said that certain things were not covered . Eventually the window was fixed in properly .

Three months later , one by one the Windows blew and let in water . I had three blown Windows replaced , with more arguments and eventually they refused to replace more blown Windows after 3 years . I've since paid out myself to have two more replaced .

When I purchased the double glazing I thought I was protected .
That's disgraceful a lot of us rely on these guarantees they should be iron tight or they are not worth the paper.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 08:42 AM

My neighbour used Which Local to find a kitchen fitter and they did great job .

I didn't but went to Magnet and Southern who gave a dreadful service. The kitchen planner failed to turn as arranged and when the kitchen arrived had missed out many items which should have been on the order.

The fitters were a disaster and among other things set fire to the kitchen wall, flooded the kitchen, left holes in the walls, put sockets on the wrong way round , were dirty (diarrhoea all over the loo and cigarette ends thrown everywhere) and rude. They were a father and son from Hereford who didn't speak but communicated in grunts .

Months after the kitchen was fitted when investigating a strange smell I found a gap in the waste pipe under the skink .

I did get a bit knocked off the bill but it was no compensation for all the hassle.

I have lived with some of the mistakes and put others right myself, I couldn't face another lot of men in my house.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
It certainly is, Patsy. I have my trusted plumber to install the bathroom suite if I want to do the bathroom, but no tiler. And who to choose from, from those recommended to other folk asking the question, especially on Streetlife?

At the moment I don't have word of mouth to go by. I even toyed with the idea of learning myself.
Do it, Jazzi! Tiling is not difficult to do, just takes time and patience. I haven't done my bathroom, but I've done kitchen splashbacks and it was much more straightforward than I had thought.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2015, 09:31 AM

I'm sure I've said this before, but when I first moved to this area I was told that if I wanted anything done I should always get a local firm because,
"If they do a bad job in the morning, everyone will know by the afternoon".

Building regulations are different here in Scotland and windows etc. are covered by things other than 'Fensa'.

Things here are done very much 'word of mouth'. The trouble is that the best people are always busy, so you may have to wait.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top