Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 02:01 PM

Re: A Message To All Members Of The EU

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I doubt that Britain can be called great these days Saphire. For one thing the Empire is gone and we are not a country rich in natural resources.
There is a great deal of misunderstanding shown when many people use the words 'Great Britain' to suggest that it is (or was) a 'great' country.
The truth is that 'Great Britain' is a geographical term which distinguishes the Island of Great Britain from the rather smaller area of Brittany in France. Both were, at one time, populated by Britons, which is where both names originate.

Whilst I agree that the UK is certainly not as great as it once was, I believe we still have much to be proud of and, at the same time, much to be ashamed of - some politicians (think Blair) for example.
Given the chance, and the provision of good management (politicians again) I believe that we can still achieve much and be an example to the rest of the world - even mighty America which, in some ways, is still a child compared to our nation.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 04:03 PM

Re: A Message To All Members Of The EU

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There is a great deal of misunderstanding shown when many people use the words 'Great Britain' to suggest that it is (or was) a 'great' country.
The truth is that 'Great Britain' is a geographical term which distinguishes the Island of Great Britain from the rather smaller area of Brittany in France. Both were, at one time, populated by Britons, which is where both names originate.

Whilst I agree that the UK is certainly not as great as it once was, I believe we still have much to be proud of and, at the same time, much to be ashamed of - some politicians (think Blair) for example.
Given the chance, and the provision of good management (politicians again) I believe that we can still achieve much and be an example to the rest of the world - even mighty America which, in some ways, is still a child compared to our nation.
I know what you say in the first paragraph JBR about how the islands that comprise Great Britain became to be known as such, but nevertheless many people do regard Britain as being "great" and it is something of a patriotic phrase to refer to "Great Britain" particularly in relation to it's past history and the pride we have for our own country. Pride is all very well, but globally we need to be strong and influential globally as well - for me that means staying united within the EU - warts and all .

I am not at all sure that if we came out of the EU we could be confident of good management from any political party - there are too many unknowns lurking in the future - and I believe, this applies whether if we stay in or leave. On balance, I think we are collectively stronger and can/will achieve more together inside the EU than out - we are not alone in believing our own country is "Great". I am confident that the peoples of Germany, France, Italy etc., think the same about their own country.
I have seriously thought about what would be in the best interests of this country and am still firmly of the opinion that we should stay. Call it a gut feeling if you like, nobody (even the politicians) know what future events will bring, there will always be a lot of argy bargy between us (whether we are in or out) but we should remember that essentially we are historically a European mix of peoples and IMO, even though I am loyal to my country, we need to appreciate that. I don't think our "Britishness" is going to disappear because we are in the EU. Britain, France, Germany, Italy, etc. will retain their identities, but will be stronger for being together - again IMO.
America is another subject for discussion, but I honestly think negotiations and the respect they already have for us will be stronger and more beneficial if we are within the EU and not outside of it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top