Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 10:52 PM

And so it begins....

Delaying tactics that is.

Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond has signalled that he would prefer the two-year leaving period for `Brexit` be extended, ostensibly to reduce risks to financial stability and also to hire and train people to manage IT changes and customs arrangements.

Why weren't these measures implemented immediately or shortly thereafter after the referendum result? Surely they must have known what was needed to be done? IMO valuable time has already been wasted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38295358
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 12:07 AM

Re: And so it begins....

Only last week boris was agreeing with the eu official that it would all be done and dusted that 'eighteen months was ample time'
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 12:19 AM

Snake oil salesmen im afraid, betrayal on every level.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond has signalled that he would prefer the two-year leaving period for `Brexit` be extended, ostensibly to reduce risks to financial stability and also to hire and train people to manage IT changes and customs arrangements.

Why weren't these measures implemented immediately or shortly thereafter after the referendum result? Surely they must have known what was needed to be done? IMO valuable time has already been wasted.

Once again the UK PTB are scrbbling about trying to make some "plans" while the EU keeps quietly but doggedly
saying "no cherry picking, no special deals.

Listen to them because the mean it.

I don't know why the UK govt keeps dribbling all those possibilities via the press. Out is out. Not half in and half out .
The EU will do what is best for them, not the UK.

However what I see is the dawning realisation that the UK is heading for an event horizon in 2 years' time. At least some are looking past the starry sky and seeing the reality of a very bad crash landing on a rocky planet in a galaxy far far away.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
the EU keeps quietly but doggedly saying "no cherry picking, no special deals.

Listen to them because the mean it.
lols

It's rhetoric which they pump out to try and appease the other member states. They have to be seen to be playing hard ball because they know the entire Union is on the verge of collapse. In the end the EU is about money and power and the few having most of it vs the many who have little. Those few will ensure that their gravy trains keep running regardless of any EU rules and regulations.

The Euro bureaucrats are frightened silly of other main countries wanting to leave to. If the process of BRExit is seen to be simple and worthwhile and amicable on both sides then countries like Italy, Spain and Greece will be clamouring to get to the Exit door too.

What the EU are doing is stalling to buy time to rush through additional bills, rules that will make it much harder for those countries to leave.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:25 AM

It makes not difference why the EU is taking a stand. The result will be the same.

Why should it not look out for its own interests? There are 27 entire countries involved on their side but one very small place on the other.
The "agreement" will have to be approved by 20 of the 27 countries and which represents a majority of 67% of the population of the EU. so it is n the interests of the Commission to gt an agreement that pleases the EU and not the UK.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Hi

I don't see it like that Judd.

Cameron was so arrogant and so convinced that he would win that he did no prep work at all before the Referendum.

The Brexiteers all had different ideas about what they wanted from Brexit, they are still arguing amongst themselves.

They have now realised that we need a new computer system to collect tariffs. that we need holding bays at ports to examine the Imports and that we need thousands of new Customs and Immigration Staff to secure our Borders and collect the Tariffs.

Our Politicians have seriously let us down on this one.

With a years preparation before the Referendum we would have known what we needed and the plans would have been in place in case we did vote to leave.

Instead of getting a move on, they are still faffing around, which I personally think is a disgusting state of affairs.

It is down to sheer incompetence that we did not have a plan in place and still haven't.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I don't see it like that Judd.

Cameron was so arrogant and so convinced that he would win that he did no prep work at all before the Referendum.

The Brexiteers all had different ideas about what they wanted from Brexit, they are still arguing amongst themselves.

They have now realised that we need a new computer system to collect tariffs. that we need holding bays at ports to examine the Imports and that we need thousands of new Customs and Immigration Staff to secure our Borders and collect the Tariffs.

Our Politicians have seriously let us down on this one.

With a years preperation before the Referendum we would have known what we needed and the plans would have been in place in case we did not to leave.

Instead of getting a move on, they are still faffing around, which I personally think is a disgusting state of affairs.

It is down to sheer incompetence that we did not have a plan in place and still haven't.
I so agree , Cameron was so blind or just could not accept that people would go against him.
Hope May is going to shape up better, I have a few qualms though TBH.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 05:32 PM

Hi

May has a very difficult task.

It is not being helped by her very small majority, political infighting in the ranks of the Brexiteers and the legal challenges.

Unfortunately the Politicians are still playing Politics and the Civil Servants have never been in this sort of pressure environment previously.

I would be much happier if the Politicians started putting us first, not their own careers and that May would have the guts to put the mechanics of leaving, the computer systems, port alterations and recruitment and training in the hands of some very hard nosed and successful business men.

Theo would make a very good job of it.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 05:51 PM

Like your reply Swimmy.
I still have my doubts about May , she WAS a remainer , when all is said and done.
Owt about swanning around in fancy dresses and trousers , lets get down to brass tacks for Heavens sake.
Probably wishing for what won"t happen , still one can dream I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top