Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Re: After brexit

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
That is the problem, too many want this metric system and is helping the UK to loose its identity. Imperial measure made one think, something impossible now due to metrification. No wonder or children are growing up like they are just moving a dot to another place.

I will still use 12 inches as a rule. At least we still have a yard of ale
Can I ask in what why imperial measure made one think?

It seems to me that the thing some oldies don't like about metric measure is that it makes them have to think about it!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 02:11 PM

I think you will find that nothing changes because industry will not want it to. Metric is an accepted international system. It's nowt to do with the EU.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tartlet ->
Can I ask in what why imperial measure made one think?

It seems to me that the thing some oldies don't like about metric measure is that it makes them have to think about it!
Imperial is IMO more intuitive. I was raised on metric and it does seem more fussy than imperial. However engineers and scientists prefer metric. Its fussiness makes it more precise .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Even the introduction of metric was stuffed up as I recall in the 4th form we started to learn CGS units (Centimetres, Grams, Seconds) the following year we were told that was all a mistake and that from now on it would be MKS units(Metres, Kilograms, Seconds).
Seconds? So in Australia, even time has gone metric.

Give me a bit of time, and I'll try to work out what a 'KILOSECOND' equates to in real money.

Ah, just done it.

1 kilosecond = 16.66 recurring minutes

and 1 megasecond = 277.77 recurring hours or 11.57 days.

Perhaps some might find metric time more accurate!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 11:14 PM

Do blokes ever boast in metric "I've got a good 15 cms".

And, how long have Ladies, with an hour glass figure been 96.5 cms X 62.5 cms X 96.5 cms.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 11:17 PM

Some things can never be Metricated, it just ain't right.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-12-2017, 11:31 PM

I thought metrication would make some men feel a whole lot better?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 11:32 PM

'go back' to our original measurements and weights.
'Go back' ....I haven't left them I never got my head around metric and can 'visualise' imperial measures .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 11:55 PM

In all seriousness, I still think in feet and inches when measuring or estimating length. I find feet and inches much easier to visualise.

However, if I want to measure accurately, certainly in small dimensions, I use millimetres. Traditional imperial measurements of fractions of an inch are quite confusing. Halves and quarters are manageable, but when we get down to 16ths and 32nds, millimetres show their true worth.

Incidentally, we should accept that 'imperial' measures are nothing to do with the British Empire, but were created by the Romans although, of course, their words (cubits, for example) were replaced by those we use now.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-12-2017, 12:01 AM

Still metric is nowt to do with the EU. You can blame the French.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top