Join for free
Page 241 of 274 « First < 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

No.22: “Sgt. Pepper’s “Lonely Hearts” Club Band” by The Beatles (1967)
The most famous album of all-time, if not the best, this album is nevertheless number one in most of these charts based on public opinion, i.e. not really from connoisseurs of music but from casual listeners who don’t go into too much depth. I rate it at No.22 which is pretty high anyway.
But it is a classic album in every sense of the word though of course. From the opening bars of the title song and its segue into ‘With A Little Help From My Friends’ and some wonderful songs such as ‘She’s Leaving Home’, ‘Fixing A Hole’, ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ and the grand finale of the amazing ‘A Day In The Life’ – they saved the best till last there.
Videos are hard to come by. There were obviously no live performances at this stage in The Beatles’ career and no singles from the album either. What I can find is a selection of interviews, session takes and so on. But you all know these songs anyway and I’ll try to get all this in one post…

Sleeve image, other images:

Videos/articles:

Full album (audio):

Track listing:
Side one
1. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
2. "With a Little Help from My Friends"
3. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
4. "Getting Better"
5. "Fixing a Hole"
6. "She's Leaving Home"
7. "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"

Side two
1. "Within You Without You"
2. "When I'm Sixty-Four"
3. "Lovely Rita"
4. "Good Morning Good Morning"
5. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
6. "A Day in the Life"

Personnel and recording:
The Beatles
• John Lennon – lead, harmony and background vocals; rhythm, acoustic and lead guitars; Hammond organ and final piano E chord; harmonica, tape loops, sound effects, and comb and tissue paper; handclaps, tambourine and maracas
• Paul McCartney – lead, harmony and background vocals; bass and lead guitars; electric and acoustic pianos, Lowrey and Hammond organs; handclaps; vocalisations, tape loops, sound effects, and comb and tissue paper
• George Harrison – harmony and background vocals; lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars; sitar; tamboura; harmonica and kazoo; handclaps and maracas; lead vocals on "Within You Without You"
• Ringo Starr – drums, congas, tambourine, maracas, handclaps and tubular bells; lead vocals on "With a Little Help from My Friends"; harmonica; final piano E chord

Additional musicians and production
• Sounds Incorporated – the saxophone sextet on "Good Morning, Good Morning"
• Neil Aspinall – tamboura and harmonica
• Geoff Emerick – audio engineering; tape loops and sound effects
• Mal Evans – counting, harmonica, alarm clock and final piano E chord
• George Martin – producer and mixer; tape loops and sound effects; harpsichord on "Fixing a Hole", harmonium, Lowrey organ and glockenspiel on "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!", Hammond organ on "With a Little Help from My Friends", and piano on "Getting Better" and the piano solo in "Lovely Rita"; final harmonium chord.
• Session musicians – four French horns on "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band": Neill Sanders, James W. Buck, John Burden, Tony Randall, arranged and conducted by Martin and McCartney; string section and harp on "She's Leaving Home", arranged by Mike Leander and conducted by Martin; tabla, dilrubas, tamboura and swarmandal on "Within You Without You", played by members of the Asian Music Circle, with eight violins and four cellos arranged and conducted by Harrison and Martin; clarinet trio on "When I'm Sixty-Four": Robert Burns, Henry MacKenzie, Frank Reidy, arranged and conducted by Martin and McCartney; saxophones on "Good Morning, Good Morning", arranged and conducted by Martin and Lennon; and forty-piece orchestra, including strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion on "A Day in the Life", arranged by Martin, Lennon and McCartney and conducted by Martin and McCartney.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 02:11 PM

No.21: “Making Movies” by Dire Straits (1980)
Following Dire Straits’ very successful debut album and the great single ‘Sultans Of Swing’ and the rather weaker second disc ‘Communique’ (which lacked a big hit), Mark Knopfler and his band of laid-back guitar musos gave the music world the rather charming song ‘Romeo And Juliet’ and its parent album Making Movies.
It’s a superbly well-written and produced record with the three lengthy songs on side one the major attraction here – that beautiful single, plus the fairground ride love story ‘Tunnel Of Love’ and the song about a girl on roller skates – the very cool and classy ‘Skate Away’ (all three original videos below). The other four songs were pretty decent too, with the rocker ‘Solid Rock’ being the highlight of that second side a (live version featuring Eric Clapton from 1988 included on video here). Please note also Roy Bittan (from the E Street Band) on keyboards.
A superb record, it deserves its placing this high in my list. The sleeve’s a little plain and bland though!

Sleeve image:

Videos:

Personnel:
Dire Straits
• Mark Knopfler – vocals, guitar
• John Illsley – bass, vocals
• Pick Withers – drums, vocals
Additional musicians
• Roy Bittan – keyboards
• Sid McGinnis – guitar (uncredited)[7]
Production
• Jimmy Iovine – producer
• Mark Knopfler – producer
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Loved this album. Obviously 'Hotel California' but also think 'New Kid in Town' was a superb song and sums up the sound of the seventies.

Incidentally, I recently had an electrician in, who up until a short while ago was a sound engineer for Joe Walsh.
Oops! Nearly lost your post in the middle of all that, Longdogs

Yeah, great band. Bet that electrician had some stories to tell!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 02:24 PM

I agree with you about Sergeant Pepper's - it's number 1 in too many lists and I don't think it's even the Beatles best album. Although I do have A Day In The Life on my favourites playlist.

Good call on Dire Straits too - excellent album. Tunnel Of Love has to have the best outro in popular music.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 02:26 PM

Regarding Zep 4, two of my favourite tracks are When the Levee Breaks, and Battle of Evermore. two good examples of what they did so well Blues and Folk influences, add in Stairway almost totally nicked, could possibly be the last time for me they offered much.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 02:31 PM

Have we had Zep 4 yet? I must have missed it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I agree with you about Sergeant Pepper's - it's number 1 in too many lists and I don't think it's even the Beatles best album. Although I do have A Day In The Life on my favourites playlist.

Good call on Dire Straits too - excellent album. Tunnel Of Love has to have the best outro in popular music.
Same here mate with A Day In The Life. Definitely my favourite Beatles song.

That guitar solo on Tunnel Of Love is one of my favourites as well. I never tire of hearing it. I remember buying the track as a single with "Part 2" as the b-side featuring that solo. It wasn't good to split the song up in that way.
Those licks on Skate Away are also superb.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Regarding Zep 4, two of my favourite tracks are When the Levee Breaks, and Battle of Evermore. two good examples of what they did so well Blues and Folk influences, add in Stairway almost totally nicked, could possibly be the last time for me they offered much.
Those thundering drums and guitar on the intro to When The Levee Breaks...incredible sound! But even that song is a version of an ancient blues-folk song. Leadbelly?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-05-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Have we had Zep 4 yet? I must have missed it.
Just now mate, while we were talking...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Same here mate with A Day In The Life. Definitely my favourite Beatles song.

That guitar solo on Tunnel Of Love is one of my favourites as well. I never tire of hearing it. I remember buying the track as a single with "Part 2" as the b-side featuring that solo. It wasn't good to split the song up in that way.
Those licks on Skate Away are also superb.

Those thundering drums and guitar on the intro to When The Levee Breaks...incredible sound! But even that song is a version of an ancient blues-folk song. Leadbelly?
Apparently this is the original.

Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

16-05-2018, 03:13 PM

Yes, Led Zep 4 is my favourite of theirs.

Page 241 of 274 « First < 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top