Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 01:24 PM

Dragons Den is no more

Dragons Den, the BBC2 TV show fronted by Evan Davis which features five ever-changing arrogant capitalists grilling unsuspecting enterpreneurs hoping their products will get a backer has ended. It may be bought by another station but the BBC say it has run its course for them.

I used to enjoy the series very much. There was some good banter between the panel and some curious inventions along the way. I enjoyed it a lot more in the early days, especially when Duncan Bannatyne was member of the team and that strange Yorkshire woman with the big shoulder pads. Peter Jones is also a very good sport and clever bloke.

What I didn't like was the patronising humilation that was often shown towards the inventors, sometimes verging on sheer condescending behavoir. And the piles of £50 notes on the tables - that is just greed shown by these rich people.

Did you enjoy this series? Are you sad to see it go?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 02:05 PM

Re: Dragons Den is no more

I used to love it .... but as you say, the Dragons themselves got a bit up their own bums.

They used to want 5 to 10% of the business for their investment, which was getting up to a greedy 30%.
Given that they were also supposed to be helping entrepreneurs without too much business acumen or contacts (but interesting good ideas) they did sometimes rip the poor people to shreds with sarcasm or mockery.
Why the hell did they think they were asking for help?

I used to like the little guy who sold Moonpig cards ..he was cute and cuddly and I called him Biggles. He seemed one of the few Dragons who could remember what it was like to take a punt, try to build a business and share their sense of enthusiasm and adventure into the unknown. .. rather than guaranteed profits and exit strategies.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 02:11 PM

I will be sad to see it go
I knew two of the entrants, one a friend of my son the other a Chinese girl I looked after in a boarding school (neither got an investment) .

I didn't find the Dragons patronising but they could be harsh with those who hadn't bothered to make sure of their figures and justifiably so.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Never seen it and, having been on the receiving end of some of these entrepreneurs I won’t shed any tears.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 02:51 PM

The Canadian version is still going strong over here. Hubby watches it but I do not.

Most of the deals made never hit the store shelves. Most are limited to being sold online or through the Dragon's Den website.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 04:15 PM

Never seen a single episode Floydy.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 05:07 PM

My husband used to like the programme but then went off it.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 05:32 PM

I used to watch it avidly
But I don't catch them often anymore
I saw, what must be the last episode then, about two weeks ago
I used to think Deborah Meaden always appeared too smug when she thought she had caught people out.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 08:40 PM

I used to love it but I haven't watched it in a long time, don't really know why I stopped watching because I always enjoyed it when I did. All except Peter are cocky buggers though although Duncan, even though I used to play pop about him, I couldn't help but smile sometimes, one I love to hate I guess lol
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Dragons Den, the BBC2 TV show fronted by Evan Davis which features five ever-changing arrogant capitalists grilling unsuspecting enterpreneurs hoping their products will get a backer has ended. It may be bought by another station but the BBC say it has run its course for them.

I used to enjoy the series very much. There was some good banter between the panel and some curious inventions along the way. I enjoyed it a lot more in the early days, especially when Duncan Bannatyne was member of the team and that strange Yorkshire woman with the big shoulder pads. Peter Jones is also a very good sport and clever bloke.

What I didn't like was the patronising humilation that was often shown towards the inventors, sometimes verging on sheer condescending behavoir. And the piles of £50 notes on the tables - that is just greed shown by these rich people.

Did you enjoy this series? Are you sad to see it go?
Like you I used to enjoy it , and stopped watching it for those same reasons Floydy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top