Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 01:34 PM

Cleaning Wooden Utensils

I have recently built up a large set of wooden utensils to replace my really manky old ones.

With regard to cleaning and care there seem to be several schools of thought but one overriding caution - do not use a dishwasher!

Any suggestions .....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 02:03 PM

Re: Cleaning Wooden Utensils

Hi Omah,
Wood definitely needs special care. Clean in hot soapy water and dry immediately. Don’t allow wood to sit in water for extended periods of time.
Since wood is so porous it can hold in stains and odours. For this take some lemon juice and scrub into the wood. To maintain the wood, oil the utensils once a month. Food grade oil of course. Olive oil will do it. Wipe off excess oil and allow to dry thoroughly before using again.

This product is specifically made for this. It’s ideal but not a necessity. Not sure if you can get it where you are though.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	C59ECE37-8D71-48DB-9B91-6E5BCF6B2DB1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	5450  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Hi Omah,
Wood definitely needs special care. Clean in hot soapy water and dry immediately. Don’t allow wood to sit in water for extended periods of time.
Since wood is so porous it can hold in stains and odours. For this take some lemon juice and scrub into the wood. To maintain the wood, oil the utensils once a month. Food grade oil of course. Olive oil will do it. Wipe off excess oil and allow to dry thoroughly before using again.
I'm doing the hot soapy water thing followed by a rinse in clean water.

When the utensils are dry, I will give them the lemon juice treatment.

I have olive oil but will that not go rancid on utensils which are not used frequently .....

This product is specifically made for this. It’s ideal but not a necessity. Not sure if you can get it where you are though.
You're right - not available in UK .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Normally just a quick rinse under the tap with a bit of washing up liquid if required. As suggested, the worst thing is to leave them in soak.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I'm doing the hot soapy water thing followed by a rinse in clean water.

When the utensils are dry, I will give them the lemon juice treatment.

I have olive oil but will that not go rancid on utensils which are not used frequently .....

You're right - not available in UK .....
If they are not used frequently , yes, they will go rancid.
In your case you are best off using food grade mineral oil.
This is different from regular mineral oil but you should be able to find it at a drug store or pharmacy.
Just make sure they are dried out well before you apply the oil, otherwise you will be sealing in water. Leaving them out on the counter top in full sun for a day or two will not only help sanitize them but will prep them well for oiling. This is of course if they are good wooden spoons. If they are cheaper ones you might be best just tossing them and purchasing new ones but only you’ll know that

Also instead of lemon juice hydrogen peroxide can be used. I myself prefer the lemon juice.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-03-2018, 04:40 PM

I've discovered some (apparently expensive) substitutes, including this one:

I want to be sure that I avoid THIS type of mineral oil:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/mineral-oil

Mineral oil is available over-the-counter (OTC) to treat a variety of ailments, including constipation, minor skin irritations, scalp conditions, ear-wax buildup, and others.

Mineral oil is commonly used as a laxative.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-03-2018, 04:45 PM

If they are not used frequently , yes, they will go rancid.
In your case you are best off using food grade mineral oil.
This is different from regular mineral oil but you should be able to find it at a drug store or pharmacy.
Just make sure they are dried out well before you apply the oil, otherwise you will be sealing in water. Leaving them out on the counter top in full sun for a day or two will not only help sanitize them but will prep them well for oiling. This is of course if they are good wooden spoons. If they are cheaper ones you might be best just tossing them and purchasing new ones but only you’ll know that

Also instead of lemon juice hydrogen peroxide can be used. I myself prefer the lemon juice.
Apologies, I missed your post because I was typing in my own .....

Many thanks for your help - your advice will ensure that my utensils will stay cleaner, safer, longer .....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

16-03-2018, 04:49 PM

No worries That’s perfect Omah!
And you’ are most welcome !
My pleasure.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 11:55 PM

I have a wooden bread board which my son made for me at school. I wash that with soapy water and then use a little bottle sterilising fluid (watered down) and then leave the board to dry. I have been doing this for thirty years and the board is still good.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

02-04-2018, 02:11 PM

No worries That’s perfect Omah!
And you’ are most welcome !
My pleasure.
Job done .....

I treated the spoons with baking soda, the spatulas with distilled vinegar and then oiled both. Drying the spoons after treatment took the most time.

The end result was neutral-smelling utensils with distinct grains .....

Next month (or thereabouts) I'll add lemon juice to the cleaning agents .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top