Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Re: I love David Attenborough

Everything is interdependent. All of us can all be pro-human, pro-flora, pro-fauna, pro-resource - all at the same time. We can't fix all of it, but we can try to cross party lines to establish priorities.

The planet will always work towards stasis. It doesn't make ethical decisions about what stays and what goes. We can work to control it for so long, but the historical outcomes for species that use up their resources or become over-populated is highly predictable.

That said, we can, to some degree, slow down or speed up the natural system. If we chose to do nothing - that is a decision too. It's just a matter of priorities as it has been said here.

When it comes to dependence on the system, there is no more endangered species than our own in the grand scheme. We are just too resource dependent and exploitive. We all either work with Nature or against it to delay the inevitable and hopefully ensure we have some quality of life between now and then. It's just a matter of how we want to play this fools game of being little gods.

But, there is another interesting thing - it isn't just about function, our ability to survive as a species, there is also this strange element that plays into the universe - form. If we abandon all quality of life - say in an apocalyptic scenario in which we have figured out how to control nature enough that we can still survive, but have wiped out all natural beauty (beaches, rainforests, hillsides, reefs - with all their flora and fauna) having paved the world and growing food in skyscrapers for an artificially sustained rats-in-a-cage population of 20 billion or more - then what's the point?

Attenborough has brought to our consciousness, all of these things.

(Muddy, I have worked on that beach many times in Southpoint Hawai'i to clean up beach trash - about 2 tons washes up a month. Seeing the impact of plastics, the state has illegalized single-use plastic bags. When I was there this month, they are back to using brown paper bags in every store and most people are now using reusable tote bags. No one is complaining.)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
One of my daughters absolutely adores David Attenborough in a fatherly sort of way.
She says, if he dies, she will be devastated
well she'd better get used to being devastated cause they haven't even worked out immortal for him yet?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The human race is full of hypocrites.
We fill our lives with plastic. It resides in just about everything we use, and then moan about it when it's discarded.
We tear up great swathes of forest to build our houses and then moan about deforestation.
We quarry Iron ore and other minerals and leave the ground devoid of flora and fauna, unable to sustain life for years, and we moan about it.
We bore for oil and gas to run our transport, power stations, and to keep our homes warm or cold, and then moan when it's spilled and destroys wildlife.

Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Extreme weather cause mankind so many problems, and we moan about it, blaming ourselves because we feel so guilty about living the life of riley.
Yes, I also love David Attenborough, but he's not God! The person who I believe should run the country/world provides solutions, not reasons why things are like they are, which we already know don't we.

So if you don't want to live in the wild and chase your food around a field, think of ways to replace plastic, food and energy without damaging the planet. And before you go installing sustainable substitutes, remember where the steel, plastic and lubrication comes from that they require for manufacture....
heh david A doesn't like running - so ?? are you just running or trying to save the world??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

29-06-2018, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Everything is interdependent. All of us can all be pro-human, pro-flora, pro-fauna, pro-resource - all at the same time. We can't fix all of it, but we can try to cross party lines to establish priorities.

The planet will always work towards stasis. It doesn't make ethical decisions about what stays and what goes. We can work to control it for so long, but the historical outcomes for species that use up their resources or become over-populated is highly predictable.

That said, we can, to some degree, slow down or speed up the natural system. If we chose to do nothing - that is a decision too. It's just a matter of priorities as it has been said here.

When it comes to dependence on the system, there is no more endangered species than our own in the grand scheme. We are just too resource dependent and exploitive. We all either work with Nature or against it to delay the inevitable and hopefully ensure we have some quality of life between now and then. It's just a matter of how we want to play this fools game of being little gods.

But, there is another interesting thing - it isn't just about function, our ability to survive as a species, there is also this strange element that plays into the universe - form. If we abandon all quality of life - say in an apocalyptic scenario in which we have figured out how to control nature enough that we can still survive, but have wiped out all natural beauty (beaches, rainforests, hillsides, reefs - with all their flora and fauna) having paved the world and growing food in skyscrapers for an artificially sustained rats-in-a-cage population of 20 billion or more - then what's the point?

Attenborough has brought to our consciousness, all of these things.

(Muddy, I have worked on that beach many times in Southpoint Hawai'i to clean up beach trash - about 2 tons washes up a month. Seeing the impact of plastics, the state has illegalized single-use plastic bags. When I was there this month, they are back to using brown paper bags in every store and most people are now using reusable tote bags. No one is complaining.)
let's be honest Muddy just gets stuck in the mud sometimes - whilst the rest of us follow david!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top