Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 03:41 PM

My latest 'Toy'

Watched the TV commercial on the Shopping Channels for ages before I decided to take the plunge and acquire a 'Pressure King Pro' digital pressure cooker.

True, they are not particularly cheap. But the variety & quality of some of the dishes you can cook, in no time at all. Is nothing short of amazing!

Beef stew, Lamb stew. Chilli con carne, Lamb Rogan Josh And the most amazing chicken tikka masala! All successfully tried and all in a fraction of the time and messing about that it would manually take!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 09:43 PM

Re: My latest 'Toy'

There's a reason why food that is cooked over a long period of time taste fantastic and better than quickly cooked food.

Bread that is forced through the fermentation process in 1-2 hrs is unhealthy and tasteless. Long fermented bread is tasty and nutritious.

Meats that are slow cooked over 4+ hours are wonderfully tender and delicious. All the flavours have had time to meld and penetrate.

I'm curious as to why you would want a "machine" to cook food quickly
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:26 PM

i used to have a pressure cooker years ago and it sure was quick. It always worried me when I had to run it under the tap. No idea what happened to it though.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:26 PM

demanding family? demanding jobs? demanding times??
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:28 PM

My mother had a 'Prestige Pressure Cooker' when I was about 8 years old. She forgot to keep an eye on it - and it exploded. I have been scared witless of the things ever since.
FridgeMagnet
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Agreed. But the PKP simulates slow ‘intense’ cooking by using pressure to replace time. Far greater heat can be achieved thus speeding up the cooking process. Plus everything is prepared in one single cooking pot, instead of sometimes up to four pots, the traditional way. Also it does have a ‘slow cooker ‘ setting if required. And it has a built in timer which switches it off when the meal is cooked.

Anyway, let’s just call it a draw and accept that we have our own preferences in methods
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 10:32 PM

I still use my pressure cooker.
It is automatic, so no running under a tap.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 11:19 PM

Oh but if ya weigh up the amount of gas or electricity used by many pots and traditional cooking methods and this one - this has in the long run gotta be cheaper - and isn't there something about makin the molecules whiz around quicker and so still cook the food well?? realist??
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
Agreed. But the PKP simulates slow ‘intense’ cooking by using pressure to replace time. Far greater heat can be achieved thus speeding up the cooking process. Plus everything is prepared in one single cooking pot, instead of sometimes up to four pots, the traditional way. Also it does have a ‘slow cooker ‘ setting if required. And it has a built in timer which switches it off when the meal is cooked.

Anyway, let’s just call it a draw and accept that we have our own preferences in methods
Hi

Anything which helps people cook from scratch has got to be good.
FridgeMagnet

11-07-2018, 07:10 AM

Last night I steamed a couple of corn cobs for the first time in the PKP. Done in 3 minutes. Literally the sweetest and tenderest I’ve ever had in my life! No exaggeration!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top