Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 07:44 PM

Odd cat behaviour.

We have two cats, one of them quite confident, the other quite timid, she often runs away when she hears us coming down the stairs, she has always been like this since a kitten. It took three days for her to come out from under a cabinet.

She has improved quite a bit since then but recently she has sort of isolated herself on a small worktop above the washing machine and below the boiler. She is getting down to eat and drink and uses the litter tray. She doesn't seem to be in any physical discomfort but as soon as she has eaten, she is back on the worktop.

We have had cats for about 25 years so we have got to know their little ways like how they will sleep in one spot for a week then change to another spot but this seems different. It's almost as if something has scared her so much that she will not venture out. She often scraps with our other cat but they have been doing that for three years now and always get over it.

They are both off to the vets tomorrow for an annual check up so I will ask him about it but just wondered if anyone has had a similar thing happen?

I could put it down to the hot weather but there are much cooler places to be than under the boiler.

Any ideas anyone?
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 07:51 PM

Re: Odd cat behaviour.

Where she's hiding now, can the other cat get at her?

I had 2 cats, unfortunately one got ill and despite always being the dominant one he took to sleeping on top of the fridge where the other cat couldn't get at him, because as soon as the other cat realised Floyd was ill he started bullying him

I'm not suggesting your cat is ill, but maybe the other cat is being more dominant for some reason. Or maybe something else in the house has scared her.

Cats will hide when they're stressed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Where she's hiding now, can the other cat get at her?

I had 2 cats, unfortunately one got ill and despite always being the dominant one he took to sleeping on top of the fridge where the other cat couldn't get at him, because as soon as the other cat realised Floyd was ill he started bullying him

I'm not suggesting your cat is ill, but maybe the other cat is being more dominant for some reason. Or maybe something else in the house has scared her.

Cats will hide when they're stressed.
That's the feeling I get although like I said they have scrapped for three years but always kiss and make up. The other cat can get to her but she has taken to sleeping in the bathroom probably because the tiles are cooler. I did also wonder if she was ill and retreating so I'm glad she is booked in for tomorrow.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 08:10 PM

Dongy
I have heard this too.
Hope all is well at the vets
And just reassure her as much as you can

I remember my first cat as an adult was all black with a small but beautifully formed head
They are notoriously timid...
If I'd done my research he probably wouldn't have been my first choice..but how easily we fall in love..
Mostyn was timid and yet as he grew older he was the cat that all young ones gravitated to. They basked in the glory of his pacifist coolness

And when he was ready hr did that magnanimous cat thing.. he took himself to lie under his favourite hedge
And the youngsters knew...to leave him in peace
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 08:37 PM

litter tray

Is the poor thing not allowed out?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-07-2018, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
litter tray

Is the poor thing not allowed out?
No we live on a busy road, she wouldn't last five minutes. Currently working on a cat run though.

The brother of our other cat was a real character. He used to stay in our previous garden or so we thought. Instead he was crossing the road. He didn't get past 2 years old.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-07-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Dongy
I have heard this too.
Hope all is well at the vets
And just reassure her as much as you can

I remember my first cat as an adult was all black with a small but beautifully formed head
They are notoriously timid...
If I'd done my research he probably wouldn't have been my first choice..but how easily we fall in love..
Mostyn was timid and yet as he grew older he was the cat that all young ones gravitated to. They basked in the glory of his pacifist coolness

And when he was ready hr did that magnanimous cat thing.. he took himself to lie under his favourite hedge
And the youngsters knew...to leave him in peace
I know what you are saying Rhian. I also had a cat that did that in the end, went under a bush in the garden. I have just looked in on her and she is busy preening herself.

I love the name btw, Mostyn.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No we live on a busy road, she wouldn't last five minutes. Currently working on a cat run though.

The brother of our other cat was a real character. He used to stay in our previous garden or so we thought. Instead he was crossing the road. He didn't get past 2 years old.

I can understand that dongles.
My friend's cat has just got his pelvis broken from being hit by a car.

I don't suppose there is a new cat in the neighbourhood is there? An uneutered tom bullying yours perhaps? A new dog or even a neighbour perhaps shooing her off that's upsetting her?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 04:21 AM

Could be that it is a comfortable spot in the heat.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 06:06 AM

I have never been without a cat for 45 years & am still surprised by their odd behavior at times!

Olly, my bravest one, would let any strange cats know that his garden was his territory, until one who seemed to be looking for a fight came round and attacked him. He became nervous and it took me about 6 months to get rid of his nerves!

Get a small water pistol and, if the stronger of yours starts a fight, give him a squirt! They hate getting wet so it will soon stop him fighting.
They are so territorial that they need to prove who is the boss. I am with them most of the time, so when one of mine does it I shout and say " Get to bed" and amazingly that is just where they go till they have calmed down.

Try spending a little time stroking the weaker one, to let it know it is safe where you are!
Good luck.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top