Join for free
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 05:51 PM

Tadpoles,and we are nearly into August.

Can you believe it?..my neighbour friend was emptying her bucket,which was sunk into the ground,she rescued some frog spawn in the spring,which was laid in her pond,she put them in a bucket,with plenty to eat,she has newts,and they would have eaten the frog spawn,anyway,she was emptying it,when she couldn't believe what she saw,tadpoles!..she asked ,if I would put them in my wildlife pond,of course I said yes,there is a lot of algae in my pond,I noticed,they have attached themslves ,to the sides of the pond,..my point being,tadpoles in the end of July ,I have never heard of this,any ideas why?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 05:55 PM

Re: Tadpoles,and we are nearly into August.

That does seem very late Pauline, as you say.

I am wondering if they will be well grown enough to survive winter.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Good point Mups,I never thought of that!.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 06:09 PM

I think the late snow and cold spring may have messed up a lot of breeding patterns then all the dry weather which frogs don't like can't have helped. I hope the froglets make it through the winter....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 06:09 PM

Well last day of July.Were has the year gone.
Heyho.
smile
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

31-07-2018, 08:15 PM

I hope they make it through winter,Mups and Meg,..I may buy a lid,come winter,to put over pond,it should keep it from freezing over,.poor little darlings,I have been outside,and I can see them attached to the big stone and sides of pond,I also have snails,they are enormous ,compared to how tiny they were,when I put them in last year...I think they feed on algae,not sure though.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

22-12-2018, 07:44 PM

I haven't forgotten my tadpoles,a few nights a week,I shine the torch into the pond,to see if I can see them,no luck for quite a while,....then tonight I shone the torch in there,and the tadpoles are still alive,hardy little beggers!.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top