Join for free
Page 14 of 27 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 06:28 AM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Yes. Why not get a thread going in the self mod section if that’s more the style that you’d prefer. That way all your ideas will be in one thread that you have control of. People will know where to find your stuff if they were looking.
It’s a good idea.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I agree go for it Bakerman But why not make it cooking from around the world...encouraging recipes from others too ?
I tried that here in the pies thread, and it got bogged down in a wide ranging discussion of what Brits call puddings. Way, way off topic. Besides, you folks have a food forum where you can discuss British ideas of cooking.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I tried that here in the pies thread, and it got bogged down in a wide ranging discussion of what Brits call puddings. Way, way off topic. Besides, you folks have a food forum where you can discuss British ideas of cooking.

In which case, why separate it??? - just add your recipes in the 'recipe' thread or are you, as your predessors did isolationist???
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
In which case, why separate it??? - just add your recipes in the 'recipe' thread or are you, as your predessors did isolationist???
I just want to get away from the troublemakers who are looking for a fight. Anyone come to mind ?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I just want to get away from the troublemakers who are looking for a fight. Anyone come to mind ?
You seem to be one.
bakerman
Mexico

14-08-2018, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
You seem to be one.
Opinions vary.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 08:59 AM

I hope this is not Bye bye American Pie
Threads often go off topic Bakerman.
It is like conversation, one thing leads to another. Keep posting your pies. We all love them you know.
Self moderated is NOT the place.
This is the right section.
Now carry on regardless.
bakerman
Mexico

14-08-2018, 05:29 PM

All of my cookery ideas and recipes may now be found in the self-mod thread, American-style cooking". I hope to see you there. But, be nice !
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I hope this is not Bye bye American Pie
Threads often go off topic Bakerman.
It is like conversation, one thing leads to another. Keep posting your pies. We all love them you know.
Self moderated is NOT the place.
This is the right section.
Now carry on regardless.
It can be if someone wants to be specific and control the flow of the posts
But .. so far, they haven't attracted much attention because they can also be too specific and rigidly controlled.

Hang on, what am I saying ... what are you saying Sweetie.
You've got your own self-moderated thread.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 04:14 AM

Okay, I'm a little unnerved by the arguments on what to call certain foods/types of food and why anyone has a problem with it. Everyone calls things differently.

In the UK, a cookie is a biscuit. That's just the way it is.

"Pudding" is sometimes referred to as anything dessert-like. It doesn't necessarily mean it's actual pudding, as in the dessert pudding, which most Americans see as a spoonable, creamy sweet substance. But Brits often call desserts "pudding" or "pud."

Why are we having this communication breakdown and why is it 'bad' for certain cultures to call certain foods what they have called them for decades and/or centuries?

I'm sorry, but I'm not really understanding this type of dispute because, frankly, it's quite pointless.

In the UK, zucchini is called "courgettes."

In the UK, eggplant is called "aubergine."

In the UK, granola is called "muesli."

In the UK, potato chips are called "crisps."

In the UK, ham is called "gammon."

In the UK, cookies are called "biscuits."

Etc etc etc.

I don't understand what is wrong with any of this and why one side of the pond is telling the other side of the pond that their definitions of certain foods is wrong. Because it's not.

It just is.

Page 14 of 27 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top