Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

08-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Blood Pressure

My blood pressure is higher than it should be, doctor wants me to take readings twice a day at home for two weeks also going for ECG this afternoon.

I really don't want to have to start medication so am after foods that can lower blood pressure naturally.

Any ideas please.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Re: Blood Pressure

Oats ( coarse jumbo preferably for more fiber ) a Mediterranian diet with vegetables/fruit/fish/ olive oil / nuts/pulse/.
Cut down on salt, sugar, and alcohol. Don't eat processed foods .
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 10:59 AM

And exercise

Walking briskly for 30 mins a day at least three times a week should help

Ive been hypertensive since my 20s. Ive finally managed to quit the smokes and recently taken up walking and BP whilst still not "normal" is low for me
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Is blood pressure an 'absolute' or can normal blood pressure differ from person to person. We changed doctors a year ago due to our old surgery closing down and I had a standard check up with the new surgery. I discovered to my surprise that I had extremely high blood pressure and was immediately put on Ramipril and Amlodapine. Before the medication I had absolutely none of the symptoms associated with high blood pressure and after a year's medication, I feel exactly the same as I did before. I've never smoked, rarely drink and eat pretty healthily (I never eat processed foods although I do love my dairy).
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Is blood pressure an 'absolute' or can normal blood pressure differ from person to person. We changed doctors a year ago due to our old surgery closing down and I had a standard check up with the new surgery. I discovered to my surprise that I had extremely high blood pressure and was immediately put on Ramipril and Amlodapine. Before the medication I had absolutely none of the symptoms associated with high blood pressure and after a year's medication, I feel exactly the same as I did before. I've never smoked, rarely drink and eat pretty healthily (I never eat processed foods although I do love my dairy).

I hope they took more then one reading over a series of time before deciding to medicate, as there is white coat syndrome which is when being seen by a doctor is enough to raise the BP

I think they decide to treat when its 140/90 or higher, before that then its lifestyle changes

Its rare to get symptoms. I did get symptoms which alerted the medics to the BP. I was very short of breath and felt spaced out and just "weird". I was immediately admitted to ITU as my BP was 220/195 - I was 26 and as close to getting a stoke as anyone could be. I was admitted 3 more times in two years

I have never been an angel with my meds and tend not to take them until I feel unwell. I do have my own BP monitor and keep an eye, but since I quit the smokes, started exercising its been as good as it ever was on meds. I do have a pretty healthy diet, very rare do I eat processed food other then the odd tin of beans, the rare rasher or sausage so my salt and sugar intake is very low compared to most, Oh and I rarely drink tea or coffee - perhaps two or three in a week
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

08-08-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
High blood pressure usually does not give you any symptoms until you have a stroke or heart attack. That is why doctors should monitor it, because keeping it within normal limits vastly reduces your risk of such a cardiac event.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
My blood pressure is higher than it should be, doctor wants me to take readings twice a day at home for two weeks also going for ECG this afternoon.

I really don't want to have to start medication so am after foods that can lower blood pressure naturally.

Any ideas please.
What readings are you typically getting?

Salt reduction can help with good levels of potassium.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

08-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Reading was 163 over 85. ECG shows my pulse rate is fast at 97 though probably higher just having it done.

Thanks all for replies.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
Reading was 163 over 85. ECG shows my pulse rate is fast at 97 though probably higher just having it done.

Thanks all for replies.
That is highish.

I take mine every morning and its sometimes up the high 150s, i'm on medication

In the winter its a lot higher(Lack of exercise)at times I think.

Beetroot Juice works for me.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288229.php
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 05:40 PM

I've suffered high blood pressure since I was 22 years old, just after I had my son. Back in the day the doctor immediately put me on BP medication and did no monitoring in the early days. I realise now had he monitored my BP I may not have had to have been on meds permanently, he wasn't a good doctor in hindsight, obviously I trusted my doctor knew what he was doing when I was so young.

It has been dangerously high a couple of times in my life but after losing a lot of weight and swimming and exercising on a regular basis I'm happy to say my BP is now normal and sometimes a little low. When I next see my doctor I am going to see if its possible to reduce the strength of the medication with a view to coming off meds altogether.

I don't know if you are overweight Panda and I hope you don't think me rude for mentioning weight but if you could do to lose a few pounds it's worth going on a healthy eating and exercise regime. I have changed my whole lifestyle.

Beetroot, oats, oily fish, garlic, spinach and leafy greens are a few foods good for the heart.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top