Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:46 PM

Re: Chelsea Flower show

I have been watching but not captured my interest this year at all too much show garden. Will be going to gardeners world at NEC again this year sometimes though I have to say what I see on the TV is nothing like what I see in person maybe Chelsea is the same...……..they cant capture the human eye view on film.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 09:43 AM

It beats me why anyone would remotely consider attending this overpriced event. All that money, just to be jostled from pillar to post, no thanks!!

Prices are growing too - £105 for a vintage bottle of champagne

Guests were treated to a garden designed by the Duchess of Cambridge, an authentic Yorkshire canal with a working lock and even nude models in floral body paint.

Pimm’s o’clock: But prices proved a shock to drinkers +8
Pimm’s o’clock: But prices proved a shock to drinkers

But another aspect of the Chelsea Flower Show astonished enthusiasts even more – the extortionate prices for champagne, Pimm’s and other refreshments.

A 125ml glass of Fortnum and Mason Rose cost £18 at the event’s bars, while a glass of champagne was a hefty £15.

A 750ml bottle of Fortnum and Mason Brut – which retails at less than £30 a bottle – was being sold for £85, while thirsty punters were expected to pay £105 for a bottle of vintage 2012 champagne which is usually on sale in shops for less than £50.

The Royal Horticultural Society bars also charged £7.80 for a half-pint glass of Pimm’s, and £29.50 for a pitcher, while a cup of tea and a sandwich cost £7.50.

Valerie Johnson, 58, from Birmingham, paid more than £70 for a day ticket to yesterday’s event, which she attended with a friend.

‘The drinks are rather expensive, especially when you are more than £70 poorer just to get inside,’ the former teacher said.

‘I can’t remember how much it was last year but I’m certain the price has crept up. Though it is to be expected I suppose, given the event and where we are. They must be making a fortune for this stuff; perhaps I’ll sneak my own booze in next year.’

Daniel Howard, 68, travelled to London from Exeter for the show.

‘I’ve bought us a jug of Pimm’s and have begrudgingly paid the prices because we want to have a lovely time but the mark-up is quite astonishing,’ he said.

A spokesman from the Royal Horticultural Society said: ‘With the RHS Chelsea Flower Show not being a fixed site, the show is built from scratch where associated costs inevitably result.

‘There is a wide range of catering options across the show and we welcome our guests to bring their own picnics.’
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Having visited the Ghent Flower Festival a few times I find it much better than anything at Chelsea. And it,s much cheaper and that,s including the ferry crossing from Dover.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
It beats me why anyone would remotely consider attending this overpriced event. All that money, just to be jostled from pillar to post, no thanks!!

Prices are growing too - £105 for a vintage bottle of champagne

Guests were treated to a garden designed by the Duchess of Cambridge, an authentic Yorkshire canal with a working lock and even nude models in floral body paint.

Pimm’s o’clock: But prices proved a shock to drinkers +8
Pimm’s o’clock: But prices proved a shock to drinkers

But another aspect of the Chelsea Flower Show astonished enthusiasts even more – the extortionate prices for champagne, Pimm’s and other refreshments.

A 125ml glass of Fortnum and Mason Rose cost £18 at the event’s bars, while a glass of champagne was a hefty £15.

A 750ml bottle of Fortnum and Mason Brut – which retails at less than £30 a bottle – was being sold for £85, while thirsty punters were expected to pay £105 for a bottle of vintage 2012 champagne which is usually on sale in shops for less than £50.

The Royal Horticultural Society bars also charged £7.80 for a half-pint glass of Pimm’s, and £29.50 for a pitcher, while a cup of tea and a sandwich cost £7.50.

Valerie Johnson, 58, from Birmingham, paid more than £70 for a day ticket to yesterday’s event, which she attended with a friend.

‘The drinks are rather expensive, especially when you are more than £70 poorer just to get inside,’ the former teacher said.

‘I can’t remember how much it was last year but I’m certain the price has crept up. Though it is to be expected I suppose, given the event and where we are. They must be making a fortune for this stuff; perhaps I’ll sneak my own booze in next year.’

Daniel Howard, 68, travelled to London from Exeter for the show.

‘I’ve bought us a jug of Pimm’s and have begrudgingly paid the prices because we want to have a lovely time but the mark-up is quite astonishing,’ he said.

A spokesman from the Royal Horticultural Society said: ‘With the RHS Chelsea Flower Show not being a fixed site, the show is built from scratch where associated costs inevitably result.

‘There is a wide range of catering options across the show and we welcome our guests to bring their own picnics.’
That's a lot of money just to see some nude models..... I'm in.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 11:02 AM

Don't forget LD, you're going to have to buy them a drink! Hope you have plenty of wedge at them prices!! PS. Remember to have £70 for your ticket!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	chelsea models.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	9689  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
Don't forget LD, you're going to have to buy them a drink! Hope you have plenty of wedge at them prices!! PS. Remember to have £70 for your ticket!
I'm taking my own paints too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top