Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 06:02 AM

Cordless tools.

I am thinking of buying a cordless hedge trimmer - just to save the hassle of dragging extension leads all over the place.

Does anyone here use one and are they any good?
Are they lighter or heavier than the normal ones?
Can they be over-wintered in a very cold garage?

Any advice on make and/or model would welcome.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 08:24 AM

Re: Cordless tools.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am thinking of buying a cordless hedge trimmer - just to save the hassle of dragging extension leads all over the place.

Does anyone here use one and are they any good?
Are they lighter or heavier than the normal ones?
Can they be over-wintered in a very cold garage?

Any advice on make and/or model would welcome.
Hi Tabbles, yes cordless hedge trimmers are great and generally much lighter and less cumbersome than corded. With the advent of modern lithium battery technology you can probably now expect in excess of 30 minutes cutting from a single charge. I have had a Black and Decker for around four years now and it lives in the garage all year and the battery is left on the switched on charger permanently, which keeps the battery in optimum condition. Personally I would thoroughly recommend one.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Be careful Tabs! We don't want to hear about you hurting yourself by getting carried away with topiary!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:49 AM

M wife bought one, they are I suppose ok for cutting tiny bit off a bush but you cant beat a petrol hedge cutter.

something like this is what you need

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Thank you, Barry and Realspeed, for your advice. Will go to a garden centre over the week-end and check prices.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

22-05-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Be careful Tabs! We don't want to hear about you hurting yourself by getting carried away with topiary!
I promise to be careful, TessA, don't want you rushing over to poink me!!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 12:19 PM

I've got both, mains and cordless.

The cordless is a good one (Bosch) and it's fine for light trimming but if I need to cut the privet back hard I have to use the mains one as the cordless just doesn't have the oomph for heavy work.

Also the cordless is next to useless on Leylandii.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I have had a Black and Decker for around four years now and it lives in the garage all year and the battery is left on the switched on charger permanently, which keeps the battery in optimum condition.
I think I have read that, for best longevity for Li Ion, you should let them fully discharge between cycles of use.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

05-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Thank you all for your advice. Have bought a cordless hedge trimmer - a VanHaus - which sounds German or Dutch - but is actually made in Manchester! It is light enough for me to be comfortable using it - but strong enough to cope with what I need it to do.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Designed in Manchester but made in China, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top