Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 06:07 PM

Jersey Royals

Is it just me or have these lost their flavour?

I used to really look forward to the JR season - and could eat them just on their own, slathered in butter. Had some today and was so disappointed - they were totally tasteless.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Re: Jersey Royals

I know what you mean Tabs
Very few new potatoes have that earthy fresh taste these days
I think it's the sitting around time

I try to buy the most locally sourced ones in supermarkets or farmers' markets
They seem tastier to me
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 06:46 PM

Well I am fed up with a normal bag of potatoes, every time I buy them, you roast them and they just taste watering inside with no flavour, I have started buying the baby new potatoes, not Jersey ones.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 07:13 PM

I think Jersey royals lost their flavour a while ago Tabby. They used to be the highlight of summer veg to me, but now I don't often buy them!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 07:19 PM

Silver Tabby, your post could have been submitted by me. On Thursday I bought my first JR of the season and couldn't wait to taste them. Unfortunately they were tasteless and I had to drench them in butter and salt to make them tasteful in any way. In the same way, our local Ayrshire tatties are inclined to be damp and lacking flavour.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Is it just me or have these lost their flavour?

I used to really look forward to the JR season - and could eat them just on their own, slathered in butter. Had some today and was so disappointed - they were totally tasteless.
Completely agree with you and it was the same last season.

They've had big problems affecting the crops.

Firstly . . .

Potato crop hit by worst early season in 40 years

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2...n-in-40-years/

"THE Island’s potato growers are struggling through one of the worst seasons in 40 years – after heavy rain and then sub-zero temperatures delayed the planting of Jersey’s biggest agricultural export"

and then BrExit . . .

Brexit: Jersey Royal potatoes 'could be left rotting in fields' due to lack of EU workers

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8160206.html

"The largest producer of Jersey Royal potatoes has warned crops may be left to rot in the fields because foreign workers have left ahead of Brexit.

Polish workers – who had previously provided the majority of seasonal labour – have abandoned Jersey following the EU referendum"

Whatever the problems, I agree with you, Jersey Royals are no longer what they were and are simply not worth paying the extra money any more. Which is a shame because like you I can eat them all day long !

The other thing I love are raw podded peas. But in similar fashion, finding good young sweet ones has become difficult. Most of what I bought last year were just totally average and lacked the real taste.

Maybe it's all climate change?

Maybe it's farming cut backs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 08:39 PM

I agree the Jersey royals don't have the taste they one had and sadly I haven't grown any early Arran Pilot this year, I haven't the room having rotated my raised bed crops.

What I have done because I eat mainly vegetables and make a lot of potato salad was to buy a big bag of Jerseys and to put them in a tub of damp soil in the garage taking out a handful as needed. This prevents them turning green and I think has added a bit of taste .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2019, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Completely agree with you and it was the same last season.

They've had big problems affecting the crops.

Firstly . . .

Potato crop hit by worst early season in 40 years

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2...n-in-40-years/

"THE Island’s potato growers are struggling through one of the worst seasons in 40 years – after heavy rain and then sub-zero temperatures delayed the planting of Jersey’s biggest agricultural export"

and then BrExit . . .

Brexit: Jersey Royal potatoes 'could be left rotting in fields' due to lack of EU workers

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8160206.html

"The largest producer of Jersey Royal potatoes has warned crops may be left to rot in the fields because foreign workers have left ahead of Brexit.

Polish workers – who had previously provided the majority of seasonal labour – have abandoned Jersey following the EU referendum"

Whatever the problems, I agree with you, Jersey Royals are no longer what they were and are simply not worth paying the extra money any more. Which is a shame because like you I can eat them all day long !

The other thing I love are raw podded peas. But in similar fashion, finding good young sweet ones has become difficult. Most of what I bought last year were just totally average and lacked the real taste.

Maybe it's all climate change?

Maybe it's farming cut backs.
Our local farm shop sells delicious podded peas, Realist, love to eat them raw! I am lucky to live here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Hi

As an experiment, I got a £1 pack from Morrisons this morning.

Just done a few and completely underwhelmed.

I get excellent maincrop potatoes from the local farms at £6 for 25 kilos and they store well.

It is an honesty box in the yard and they also do fresh Goose eggs at 3 for £1.

They are huge.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Isn't the taste of Jersey Royals attributed to the soil that they're grown in? Perhaps that soil has been overworked over the last few years?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top