Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 10:43 AM

Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48011113

Two gorillas have been photographed posing for a relaxed selfie with the rangers who rescued them as babies.

The image was taken at a gorilla orphanage in Virunga National Park, DR Congo, where the animals were raised after poachers killed their parents.

The park's deputy director told BBC Newsday that they had learned to imitate their carers, who have looked after them since they were found.

The gorillas, he added, think of the rangers as their parents.

Innocent Mburanumwe, deputy director of Virunga, told the BBC that that the gorillas' mothers were both killed in July 2007.

The gorillas were just two and four months old at the time.

Because they've grown up with the rangers who rescued them, Mr Mburanumwe added, "they are imitating the humans" - and standing on two legs is their way of "learning to be human beings".

But it "doesn't happen normally", he said.

"I was very surprised to see it... so it's very funny. It's very curious to see how a gorilla can imitate a human and stand up."
I'd swear they were humans in gorilla suits, especially the one on the right, leaning forward to get into the picture .....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Re: Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit

Hi

Thanks so much, a lovely thing to see.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 11:47 AM

That is good to see. They look so human that I couldn't help but be reminded of the 'Not The Nine O'Clock News - Gerald the gorilla' sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 11:52 AM

It’s amazing to see the gorillas stood upright like that, almost frightening.

It makes me think of Planet of the Apes
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It’s amazing to see the gorillas stood upright like that, almost frightening.

It makes me think of Planet of the Apes
Makes me think of some OFF members.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 11:57 AM

That one on the left seems very familiar .
You ( sadly) see beer bellies like that all over the place.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That one on the left seems very familiar .
You ( sadly) see beer bellies like that all over the place.
It's all the Um Bongo...... they drink it in the Congo.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Makes me think of some OFF members.
I won’t ask you to name them LD
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I won’t ask you to name them LD
Good idea Mags.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 12:18 PM

Virunga National Park was forced to close to visitors at the end of 2018, but I don't know why. I do know there were 5 anti- poaching staff killed ay some point, so it might have something to do with it. .

Message from Virunga National Park this morning :

You might have recently seen caretakers Mathieu and Patrick’s amazing selfie with female orphaned gorillas Ndakazi and Ndeze inside the Senkwekwe center at Virunga National Park. We’ve received dozens of messages about the photo. YES, it’s real! Those gorilla gals are always acting cheeky so this was the perfect shot of their true personalities! Also, it’s no surprise to see these girls on their two feet either—most primates are comfortable walking upright (bipedalism) for short bursts of time.

Guys, if you shared our gorilla selfie post, please share our Earth Day posts as well! Conserving Virunga’s amazing wildlife is a constant challenge for the Park and our work wouldn’t be possible without your support. Matching funds have been pledged on every donation to the Park today, up to a total of $25,000—giving us the opportunity to raise $50,000 for Virunga! Visit virunga.org/donate to get involved and keep sharing our posts! Thank you!

*We want to emphasize that these gorillas are in an enclosed sanctuary for orphans to which they have lived since infancy. The caretakers at Senkwekwe take great care to not put the health of the gorillas in danger. These are exceptional circumstances in which the photo was taken. It is never permitted to approach a gorilla in the wild.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top