Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:56 PM

Re: Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes, you are correct and even though being an 'oldie' myself (depending on your interpretation of that ) I cannot remember clearly the vote or the actual figures. The link below however, does give the information you correctly state. See the subheading 'Britain joins the EEC', second paragraph:

https://www.parliament.uk/about/livi...-european-act/
Yes, all was fine when we were a member of the EEC.

Then, in 1991 with the Maastricht Treaty, the rot set in. The push for economic and monetary union heralded the increase in political control of member countries by the non-elected politicians in Brussels, and the name change from EEC to EU.

That, of course, coincided with Maggie Thatcher being stabbed in the back and her replacement by the Grey Man (John Major), and the country has gone downhill ever since.

Look at the list of PMs since the EEC became the EU:
John Major
Tony B Liar
Gordon Brown
David Cameron
Treason May

Not one of these has been good for the country, and some have been a complete disaster (for different reasons).

A coincidence? The creation of the EU and our worst prime ministers in my lifetime?

Little wonder that we are where we now are.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I don't think so ? Not as I recall. A nation of young people being able to afford and get a mortgage on a property as soon as they were married. All my friends started off with 3 bed semi's in the 1970's . All could afford it, jobs paid according to what the company wanted to pay and what they felt the position was worth, which created competition for the best, not according to national 'banding' that we have now, and if we didn't like one job we could leave on Friday and try something completely different on Monday. Transport to and from work was cheap, council tax and water rates were minimal. Our parks and gardens were all kept in impeccable condition , our services ran without problems, and the rebuilding of cities ( my area Liverpool ) from war damage continued at an amazing rate with new homes and shops. The high streets became vibrant and coffee bars were the meeting places, art and culture oozed from every opportunity. The greatest period of music and bands, and a lot more then suddenly things started to slide as we moved into the 80's .. property prices began to rocket, council and water rates up , job shortages, dole queues , house possessions, factories closing. Then later, in the 2000's the minimum wage was introduced , and that meant every company could reduce wages so jobs were got rid of and the job re-evaluation scheme rolled out over the country. Most lower sector pay jobs became part time hours which enabled the influx of people from EU member states could be accommodated, but detrimental to our own people. Most jobs were re-designated at a lower rate of pay. It goes on and on, but if anyone thinks we were worse off pre 1980's they need their heads checking.
You must have been asleep then
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I don't think so ? Not as I recall. A nation of young people being able to afford and get a mortgage on a property as soon as they were married. All my friends started off with 3 bed semi's in the 1970's . All could afford it, jobs paid according to what the company wanted to pay and what they felt the position was worth, which created competition for the best, not according to national 'banding' that we have now, and if we didn't like one job we could leave on Friday and try something completely different on Monday. Transport to and from work was cheap, council tax and water rates were minimal. Our parks and gardens were all kept in impeccable condition , our services ran without problems, and the rebuilding of cities ( my area Liverpool ) from war damage continued at an amazing rate with new homes and shops. The high streets became vibrant and coffee bars were the meeting places, art and culture oozed from every opportunity. The greatest period of music and bands, and a lot more then suddenly things started to slide as we moved into the 80's .. property prices began to rocket, council and water rates up , job shortages, dole queues , house possessions, factories closing. Then later, in the 2000's the minimum wage was introduced , and that meant every company could reduce wages so jobs were got rid of and the job re-evaluation scheme rolled out over the country. Most lower sector pay jobs became part time hours which enabled the influx of people from EU member states could be accommodated, but detrimental to our own people. Most jobs were re-designated at a lower rate of pay. It goes on and on, but if anyone thinks we were worse off pre 1980's they need their heads checking.

I think most of that is due to the fact that we (that includes you and me) liberated the iron curtain countries from their russian oppression. But with that we loaded ourselves up with a moral obligation to look after these liberated nations. Especially the older british generation can relate to that, I think.
Most of those liberated countries wanted to belong to the EU. Well, then you have to share, and share alike. Another fact of life certainly the british have always been advocates of. So puddle duck where is your sense of british pride?

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top