Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Re: Your Real Name

I better be careful here, some people are very touchy about their names. I am perfectly happy with what my parents called me 'James' and all it's offshoots, Jem, Jimmy, Jim, Shay, Shamus etc., but like Meg, I really don't mind what people call me as long as they don't deliberately set out to insult me. Sharon is right about the Sharons and Shirleys in the sixties, I've got plenty of them in my family circle, all good names as far as I'm concerned. The thing that really got on my wick was when parents started using surnames for first names, enter the Kellys, Russels,Dillons, Jordans etc, (I used to have neighbours called Kellys, Russels, Dillons and Jordans.), talk about confusing people!.
Cassie, I always thought you wos a Cassandra.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 02:01 PM

My name is Joy ,it`s what my parents named me and I like it .
My dad and paternal grandparents always called me Peachy though .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 02:17 PM

I'm partly of named after my Dad's eldest sister, who was Marguerite but they chose my version as Margaret. My aunt was always called Daisy and I am Mags. There were a lot of Elizabeths and Margarets around then, what with the popularity of the two royal princesses. My middle name is Jeanette, which I much prefer!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 05:09 PM

I was named Eileen as it's a good Irish name to honor the ancestry on both sides of the family; took Katherine as my middle name at confirmation after my paternal grandma. I never gave any particular thought to whether I liked it or not, it was just my name and I'm used to it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 05:25 PM

I inherited my name which was one traditionally given to the firstborn female child on my dad''s side. My godmother (Dad's sister) had the same name and she had also inherited it from a great aunt of hers - and so on and so on back in the family.
I never liked my name as a child because it was unusual; folks mispronounced it or spelt it wrong and I didn't want to appear different from other children. Now I don't mind it, but the name has not been passed down to my own firstborn child or neice, so the tradition ends when I go.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Aerolor, I know your real name and think it's lovely, as is the song; I told you that in a PM!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Aerolor, I know your real name and think it's lovely, as is the song; I told you that in a PM!
Sssshhhhhh Eileen
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 06:54 PM

My name is Karen very 1960's I think. My Dad hates names being shortened although he and most of the family call me Kal.

I do not mind it at all in fact I really quite fond of it because it is me.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Well my name is Stephan and so many times it has become Stephen-yea even on my first degree certificate,which I sent back, on share certificates,legal documents etc.

Or,on hearing me say no SteFFan,to be phonetic some assume I`m Polish!!??

Old Git is easier lol
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 07:17 PM

I hated Barry as a child as I thought it sounded cissy, and I much preferred to be called Baz, but if anyone asked my real name I told them it was Brian! Barry seemed an unusual name as well which made it worse, and in fact I think I was 18 years old before I met another one.... I'm OK with it now though, I suppose I must have grown into it...

Talking of unusual names, my mother's name is Melva and I've never met another, have you?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top