Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Derbygal
Idaho USA
Derbygal is female  Derbygal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 01:41 PM

Re: Volunteering

what wonderful work you all do.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 01:43 PM

I was a volunteer with an organisation for 10 years and that included night duties, all night every 3 weeks. I found it very rewarding but emotionally draining, not sure I could still do it now.

I also did voluntary work with the council taking severely disabled children into my home at weekends to give their parents a break. I had one child whose parents hadn't been out together for 10 years, again very rewarding work .
Derbygal
Idaho USA
Derbygal is female  Derbygal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 03:43 PM

So many good hearts.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 04:56 PM

I have done voluntary work and decided to offer my services at our local theatre . The theatre also has paid staff. I was happy to work in the cafe , washing up , clearing tables etc. The paid member of staff said to me on first day , " you will be doing washing up , clearing and just be a minion" ok said I , I can deal with that . After my 4th 3hr session of up to my arm pits in suds dishes , scraping cooking pans from the upstairs kitchen , no sign of paid staff assisting me . The kitchen small and sweaty , I could cope fine with all that , but noticed paid staff standing around chatting , disappearing for an hour at a time and little ole me run ragged getting food for customers , dishes being piled up by bar staff who left me alone , I decided this was not going to be long term voluntary work for me and promptly left .
Derbygal
Idaho USA

18-08-2015, 05:16 PM

Susan, I don't blame you on walking out, in that situation, I would have done the same.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 06:16 PM

Pres - Cab... Chamber of Commerce
Pres - T........ Community Hall Association
Pres - T........ Progress Association
Pres C-B ... Jaycees
Vice Pres Cab ... Spring Festival Committee
Vice Pres Cab ... Community Youth Support Scheme
Sec - Cab ... Ratepayers and Citizens Association
Sec - P. P. Fish Restocking Association
Comm. T.... Fishing Club
Member - P.P... Shorebird Management Group
" ... T. D. Pensioners' Club
" ... ?? Political Party
" ... P Reg Catchment Conservation Association
Editor - Lin... Monthly Magazine
Spokesperson PbP Conservation Group
Man, & Coach CE Junior Chess Club
" " ..... MF Junior Chess Club

and a few others - not all simultaneously - but up to six at a time

2004 Cab Shire Volunteer of the Year Award

'
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Very impressive list there Pumice, you're not one to hang around on your backside are you?, well done you.
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

06-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Derbygal ->
Who volunteers ? please share your volunteering duties:

I volunteer for the American Red Cross, I am originally from Derby UK, been in the States 30 years. Used to be a blood donor but cant donate anymore so I volunteer. I register the donors in for donating, sometimes I do hospitality where I servie snacks and water/juice when the people have donated. Sometimes I will go with the mobile unit out to various points, and sometimes I help in the warehouse.
Fridays: I go to the Shelter for women and children where I do food prepping for the dinner (occurs at 4.45pm).
I have volunteered in the community for many years since my children were young and found it most rewarding. I began in our local hospital serving night lunches to the patients on the floors and then became involved with the hospital auxiliary. The last number of years I became involved organizing walking clubs for seniors through Heart and Stroke walkabout, and have met some lovely people.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 07:05 PM

A few years ago when I was unemployed I volunteered at a charity shop, which was easy and pleasant enough, and got me out of the house

Somewhere recently on this forum I posted that now I have retired I have offered to help at Queen Street Mill, an old cotton mill that is run as a museum

Took a bit long to arrange, but I go tomorrow to have a proper look round and discuss the sort of work I might do. It will mostly be cleaning, maintenance, and restoration, when they are closed for winter.
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

06-10-2015, 07:54 PM

One of the wonderful aspects of volunteering is deciding how much you want to do, what you want to do and when you want to do it...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top