Join for free
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

08-10-2015, 02:07 AM

Feeding backyard visitors

I am an avid birdlover and have been birdwatching and feeding a variety of hummingbirds, songbirds, bluejays, and groundfeeders for many years. In the winter I make up a delicious homemade suet for the beauties to enjoy... Just wondering if you feed any birds and what kind have you attracted to your feeders.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 06:03 AM

Re: Feeding backyard visitors

I buy peanuts and bags of wild bird food to feed to them but it's mainly pigeons that get it. We also feed a cat which comes round.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 06:05 AM

We do our best although its mostly a few crows and some doves who brave our garden..
The neighbourhood cats scare off the smaller birds.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 08:45 AM

I feed the birds on fat balls and seed mix at the forest where I walk my dogs . There are robins , blue tits , great tits , coal tits , chaffinch , sparrows , spotted woodpecker and one pair of jays .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 02:56 PM

I was feeding the birds every day, with a variety of bird food purchased from Haiths & other places, but for the past few months I stopped feeding our garden birds, due to the number of cats visiting my garden, cats I didn't know & had never seen before.
We have a variety of species here & I guess they all wonder why now no food, but I am not prepared to make them a snack for a prowling cat.
Once the weather gets chillier & natural food is more scarce I will start feeding the garden birds again.
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

08-10-2015, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
I feed the birds on fat balls and seed mix at the forest where I walk my dogs . There are robins , blue tits , great tits , coal tits , chaffinch , sparrows , spotted woodpecker and one pair of jays .
Yes seems woodpeckers absolutely love the suet.
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

08-10-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I was feeding the birds every day, with a variety of bird food purchased from Haiths & other places, but for the past few months I stopped feeding our garden birds, due to the number of cats visiting my garden, cats I didn't know & had never seen before.
We have a variety of species here & I guess they all wonder why now no food, but I am not prepared to make them a snack for a prowling cat.
Once the weather gets chillier & natural food is more scarce I will start feeding the garden birds again.
Yes you and Alan and some others have mentioned the cats, I guess I am safe as I have a dog, lol!
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 01:53 AM

At work I'm in a lawn and garden department. There's always those pesky bags of birdseed leaking I regularly fill an empty box with seed and go to the outer edges of the parking lot. I'll watch in the distance a few hours later and it looks like " The Birds". Love the Cardinals and Blue Jays but they're all beautiful.
There is also a resident chipmunk, he might have a family, it's hard to tell. I always kneel under one of the plant shelves and push a bird bell under there. When I check a few days later it's always nibbled to the core. It just makes you feel pleased to be feeding the woodland creatures.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top