Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Getting some Chookies!!!

After much thought and a lot of measuring and considering, I have decided to get some hens!

I have thought about it before, but a few days ago an acquaintance of mine told me she had bought a new hen house and was looking for a home for the old one - free!. Well, never look a gift horse in the mouth I say, so that bottom bit of my garden, which I never do anything with, is now going to be home to some chookies!

Only going to have about six of them, and I'm hoping they will more or less pay for themselves with the eggs they produce.

Anyone on here have hens? Any advice gladly received!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Re: Getting some Chookies!!!

Oh how lucky, Wanda! I'd love to have chooks and fresh eggs, but DC law prohibits fowl in the City limits... Calismum has hens!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2010, 03:22 AM

How cool! I'd love to have a small farm one day - where I can grow my own veg and have a few livestock too
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Lovely!
We'll follow your progress with interest
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2010, 09:55 PM

And pics too, please! What kind will you be getting?
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2010, 07:54 PM

I have been doing a bit of research, and I believe that Warrens (sometimes known as Ginger Rangers) are the ones to get. They are medium sized, ginger in colour and supposedly very good layers.

I did want to get rescues from battery farms, but everyone I have spoken to in the know on hens has told me not to get rescues until I have some experience of hens. So I bow to their advice.

It will be a good few weeks yet until I get the hens, as the henhouse and run have to be transported once the place where it will stand has been cleared, a fox proof fence has to be erected (we have foxes around here - quite cocky ones, who recline on peoples lawns in the sunshine, so I have to be very, very careful), and then I have to actually get the hens.

But I will keep you updated.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

18-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Calismum here is quite knowledgeable about hens; you might want to PM her with any questions.Think of those lovely fresh eggs! And one of our Catsey members with hens had two visits from Mr. Fox, with unhappy results.....
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 07:24 PM

I have been considering buying some hens too. We have a lovely empty hen house in the garden and with the price of eggs now it makes it quite tempting.

We had Rhode Island Reds before they are excellent layers.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

19-02-2010, 10:31 PM

My grandma kept White Leghorns. for some reason my Mom disliked Rhode Island Reds, cannot remember why after all these years.
windhound
Surrey,UK
windhound is female 

24-02-2010, 01:56 AM

Wanda,I know that you have been told not to get rescue ex battery chickens and I suppose that they would need more understanding,but I am sure that you would be able to get some advice from the Battery Hen rescue organisation;I have a friend who works there ,it is in Chulmleigh in Devon. I think that at the moment they have a waiting list of prospective homes(which is good) but when you take in 600 chickens at a time you need to know that you have homes waiting. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top