Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
windhound
Surrey,UK
windhound is female 

03-05-2010, 11:37 AM

Re: Getting some Chookies!!!

Are they installed yet? Where are the pictures? What variety are they? So many questions for you to answer,really looking forward to seeing them,hope all is well.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 04:42 PM

I echo the above! Story and pics, please~
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Phew!!! What a weekend!

Well, Ada, Aggie, Gertie, Gussie, Hattie and Henny-Penny have arrived!

Picked them up on Saturday morning, after getting lost on the way. Went with a friend, who supposedly knew the way, but she's got a brain like a butterfly and I'm useless at directions so we took a wrong turning and then bitched at one another for the rest of the way there!! That was a good start.

Hens were in a big barn, so were not used to perches or roosting. Chap who had them asked if I wanted to choose them myself, but quite honestly, they all looked very similar to one another, so I asked him to choose me six good, healthy birds, just specifying that I wanted two of the lighter coloured ones. They are all hybrid birds, Warrens (Ginger Rangers). I asked if he could trim their wings for me, so they cannot fly over the fence. He did, but I wish now I had left it, as I think he has cut them far too much. I know they will grow again in the normal moult, but I do feel a bit guilty.

Anyway, got them home and put them in their coop with food and water and left them to recover.

Next day - two eggs!!!! Hooray!!!

Monday - two eggs!!!!! Hooray!!!

Today - THREE eggs!!!!! Hooray!!!

They are settling in fine, except for one, who is being bullied by one of the others. Or, to be personal, Henny-Penny is bullying Gussie. Have spoken t/been talking to a few chicken people, who tell me a) it is still early days and it takes time for the pecking order to be thoroughly established, and b) there is always a "top" hen and a "bottom" hen. Poor Gussie! But she is eating and drinking and scratching around, so I guess she is OK. I will keep my eye on the situation, and if the bullying gets very bad, I will try some of the techniques I have read about and been told about to put Madam Henny-Penny in her place.

Now, I have no photos as yet, but I promise I will take some over the next couple of days, and then I will post them on here.

It really has been a very busy weekend, because until you actually have the hens, you don't know if the henhouse set up works properly, so I have had quite a bit of tweaking to do - like the ladder from the run up to the actual coop, which I had to alter, because these birds are not used to climbing and because the ladder was open between the rungs, it frightened them, so I had to make a solid ladder with no gaps!

Oh it's all good fun!!!!

Photos soon, I promise!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 10:01 PM

It all sounds very exciting, Wanda!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 10:07 PM

Oh I love those names, Wanda! What a change for them from a barn to their nice new coop; hope the pecking order will get established soon. Eggs!!! Look forward to the pics more than ever now!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Does sound like you had an hectic weekend Wanda, but at least they are now home with you. Love the names as well-one has the same name as one of my sisters-Aggie, and one has the same name as my girl (dog) Hatti. Hope they all settle in quickly.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top