Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Stricter dog controls

No doubt you've seen this on the news, . . I saw a clip of two gangs of youths with staffies, they were all hoodies and were setting up the dogs aggressively, . . all this could be avoided if, as I suggested 10 years ago, they introduced licences which the public would have to apply for prior to owning a dog.

Every council would be responsible for issuing the licence and it would be self funding so the cost wouldn't be on the public purse.
Anyone who wished to keep a dog would have to satisfy the council they lived in appropriate houses, no one living in flats should be considered, if they wanted a dog they should move, there should also be a minimum age, if these licences were to go ahead it would be compulsory to carry them at all times and produce them on demand to whoever asked to see them, . . this would stop the yob culture that's sprung up, they're using dogs as weapons.

Compulsory insurance is another good step, if you can't afford insurance, you can't afford a dog, people should be means tested also, to see if they can afford to keep a dog, an average sized dog from birth to death based on a 10 year life span costs £20,000 this would help stop poor dogs in rescue centres being PTS.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Re: Stricter dog controls

I have insurance for my two youngsters - but not for the other two. One is very old (he`d cost about £50 a month to insure) , and one is too traumatised to go out. I`m eligible for the PDSA anyway.
You see, all these bright ideas are fine for the `average` person with one small dog. But not for people with a fixed income who rescue.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 07:21 PM

And unfortunately this is where the problem lies with any legislation. I would be glad to see all dogs microchipped, and yes, it might be a good idea to insure dogs for Public Liability. However, does this mean that people with little money will get help with the cost of microchipping, and will Insurance Companies be forced to keep the cost of insurance down to a bare minimum. Will extremely elderly dogs be exempt? Will dogs who because of age or dental disease have lost all their teeth be exempt? I know that sounds silly, but my little Yorkie, Minnie, who died last October, was 14.5 yrs old and had no teeth - she couldn't have bitten anyone. And when I took her on from Rescue, she was 12 yrs old and had all sorts wrong with her. There is no way I could have insured her. So does that mean that there will be different types of insurance?

It sll sounds so simple, until you really think about it.

On the other hand, I do applaud the effort to stop yobs from using these poor dogs as weapons. I do wish we could have legislation to impose very, very harsh penalties on thse people, but, of course, that won't be on the schedule.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Sounds like a generally good idea to me, but as others have pointed out, the devil is in the details. Low income people/senors who would have trouble with insurance premiums, people who foster dogs, breeders? We have trouble with hoodlum types here who train their dogs to be aggressive/attack, mostly pit bull or pit bull crosses. They've been outlawed in many jurisdictions but that hasn't stopped people from keeping them anyway.

Do you have leash laws?
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 09:06 PM

In what context "leash laws" Dandysmom?
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 09:50 PM

Who is going to make sure dogs are insured and microchipped???My girls are both, but I cannot se these yobs with thier status dogs bothering to do it, will anyone make sure they do????
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Good question Moli. There isn't anyone round here to impose the penalties for Dog Fouling on pavements, recreational facilities etc. never mind checking that dogs are microchipped and Insured....my Hatti is also microchipped and insured.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 11:06 PM

I can see responsible dog owners being all for it, but there are a lot who will just ignore it, like all the banned breeds we still have being bred...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Insurance gets very expensive as your dogs get older - I see these proposals as nothing more to keep the fat cat bankers (insurance companies) happy!
Moli
Aberdeenshire

10-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Can you actually insure an old dog???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top