Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 11:35 PM

Re: Stricter dog controls

Originally Posted by Moli ->
Can you actually insure an old dog???
Am sure you can Moli, but the premiums are sky-high I believe. I suppose the older dogs are a high risk! Even if pets are Insured from being a puppy, when they reach 8 years old, most Insurance Companies increase the monthly premiums by adding an 'age supplement' on.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=Wanda;46429]In what context "leash laws" Dandysmom?[/QUOTEu

Dogs must be on leash except in designated dog parks in the City.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Wouldn't it be better to bring back dog licences again? At least they could be checked and the 'yobs' that didn't have them for their dogs could be penalised...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Good question Moli. There isn't anyone round here to impose the penalties for Dog Fouling on pavements, recreational facilities etc. never mind checking that dogs are microchipped and Insured....my Hatti is also microchipped and insured.
Same here, merz, laws about poop scooping; the responsible people follow them; and no one enforces the law... I have never heard af anyone getting a citation for fouling.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Same here, merz, laws about poop scooping; the responsible people follow them; and no one enforces the law... I have never heard af anyone getting a citation for fouling.
Occasionally I've read in the local paper one or two people have been fined for not picking up after their dogs, but that's about it. Problem is all dog owners get tarred with the same brush and most dog owners are responsible, but again its the minority spoiling it for the majority.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 06:30 AM

Who is going to make sure dogs are insured and microchipped???My girls are both, but I cannot se these yobs with thier status dogs bothering to do it, will anyone make sure they do????
If licensed dog ownership became law it would end irresponsible owners having dogs, . . yobs will not want to spend cash on a licence and also their homes would have to be approved as suitable to keep a dog, . . if their parents got the dog for them, any complaints or breaches of the law would fall back on them, they will be held responsible because they'll be the licence holders.

It would be like owning a car, the keeper is ultimately responsible.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 06:33 AM

I can see responsible dog owners being all for it, but there are a lot who will just ignore it, like all the banned breeds we still have being bred...
It's simple, . . . no licence, . . no dog, . . you would have to be a licence holder before it was legal to buy a dog.

PS : anyone selling you a dog if you have no licence would be fined.
nero
Central Scotland

11-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Can you actually insure an old dog???
The age limit for the company I'm with is eight.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Just re-read the first post. Our Council is very anti-dog and there are very few open spaces. Consequently I have to get a train out of the area to walk my dogs every day. The idea that this council would be able to tell me how many and what breed / size of dog I could keep horrifies me.
nero
Central Scotland

11-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Just re-read the first post. Our Council is very anti-dog and there are very few open spaces. Consequently I have to get a train out of the area to walk my dogs every day. The idea that this council would be able to tell me how many and what breed / size of dog I could keep horrifies me.
Sadly this may be the price we'll have to pay because of others, . . I made the suggestion about licensing owners 10 years ago to both my MP and local councillors but as usual it passed right through from ear to ear like a cotton bud.

Things have got so bad due to apathy on the part of the government that decent dog owners are being victimised.
There have been five fatalities the last few years and every one of them was preventable.
Irresponsible breeders who breed designer dogs like labradoodles should be shot, all they're doing is bastardising two lovely breeds in the name of conning the public and making cash.

I've had dogs all my life and I'm appalled at the lack of control over these "breeders", . . it's them who're responsible for overcrowding in rescue centres, . . I resigned from the Scottish rottie club 2 years ago because some of the breeders there are just as bad when it comes to a follow up after selling a puppy IMO.

Regarding Staffies, . . the drug dealers use them in their nefarious ways like a gun, . . they're small and cheap to feed and once the dogs have outlived their usefulness the poor souls are thrown out into the street, . . microchipping would end all this and so would the licences I've suggested.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top