Join for free
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 09:22 PM

Smokey and his swollen face!

had to take Smokey Cat to the vet today.

He sleeps on my bed at night (on it, not in it!), and this morning when I sat up in bed, he lifted his head to have a look at me and for a moment I thought he had ruffled up the fur on one side of his face - like when your hair sticks up after you have slept on it. Then he yawned, and I realised that he had a huge great lump growing out of the side of his face. He sat up and looked at me as if to say " Do something - like now!"

Now he tends to be moody when he is not in pain, so you can imagine what he is like when he is in pain! It took the Vet, a nurse and myself to hold him down long enough for the Vet to give him a long-lasting antiobiotic jab; then the Vet counted "One, Two, Three.....Go" and we all let go of him and retreated! Smokey got up, tail swishing, yowling and screaming in fury and started to advance to where we all stood in a corner Luckily, he noticed his cat carrier was on the floor, and he decided that was the safest place to be, so in he went, still swearing and cursing. As I shut the carrier, he was swiping at my hand, spitting hatred at me.

Vet thinks he has been bitten in a fight, and now has an abscess. He wouldn't give me tablets for him, as he said he was too dangerous (he's not really, I have given him tablets before - at the risk of sounding conceited, I'm quite good at getting tablets down cats!), hence the long lasting antibio jab (48 hours), and he has to go back on Friday for another one.

I'm really looking foward to our next visit
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Re: Smokey and his swollen face!

Poor boy, he must be sore...My Merlin had the same before Christmas, it came up over night too...
Hope the AB works soon...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Poor Smokey, I hope the ABs start working soon.

My previous cat was a ginger tom and he always got into scrapes with bites on his face and ears ..... painful areas!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2010, 11:14 PM

Hope the antibiotics soon kick in-poor Smokey. Good luck on Friday!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Poor boy!
It's a hazard with cats - my grey boy had an absess on his ear just a few weeks back.

The site is significant - head or front legs; you've got a fighter
Tail, bum or back leg; that one was fleeing

Hope Smokey feels a lot better now and hooray for long-acting antibiotics
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 07:19 PM

He's still got a swollen face, but I have a feeling that the abscess is going to burst very soon, as you can actually see the puncture point now - boy, I am looking foward to that lot pouring out!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 11:13 PM

That won't be pleasant Wanda, but he'll feel better!!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top