Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Which plants are poisonous to dogs?

I think I've touched a little bit on this problem before in one of my threads ......

We moved six months ago now and the woman that lived here before was a very keen gardener. In our garden there are lots of exotic and all sorts of shrubs and plants, I haven't a clue what they are although I know some of them are toxic for dogs.

Our dog is the worst ever for chewing. She is just getting over a very bad tummy upset from chewing one of the shrubs. I've thought about netting the plants but they are dotted everywhere. It's a bit of a nightmare .........

What would anyone else do? Would you dig them all up? Any advice welcome please. We do go out with her when she's in the garden but I can't get to her quick enough if she decides to suddenly have a grab at a shrub or plant.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 09:49 AM

Re: Which plants are poisonous to dogs?

Are you one Dogsey Alicat - might be worth asking on there - in case people can share specific experiences.

Here's a list I found on the ASPCA site: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...=toxic-to-dogs
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 09:57 AM

I almost lost Minxy as a pup after she ate lily of the valley She was so ill it was dreadful.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 04:26 PM

I always thought Dogs or Cats were to clever to eat the wrong things :ie plants. But I am wrong never had a Cat or Dog.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 04:28 PM

You might ask a friend who's knowledgeable about plants to tell you exactly what you have in the garden; that way you can check them against the list of plants that are poisonous to dogs and remove them if necessary, without having to destroy all the garden.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by bloggsy ->
I always thought Dogs or Cats were to clever to eat the wrong things :ie plants. But I am wrong never had a Cat or Dog.
Oh they do indeed, bloggsy. Lilies for example are deadly to cats.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 10:02 PM

I think rhodedendrons are poisonous to dogs and at this time of year slug pellets can be lethal.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
You might ask a friend who's knowledgeable about plants to tell you exactly what you have in the garden; that way you can check them against the list of plants that are poisonous to dogs and remove them if necessary, without having to destroy all the garden.
That is a good idea dandysmom. Sue (Suey) and her husband and Lexi are visiting us in June and she has very kindly said she will identify as many plants and shrubs as she can for us. It's a shame to dig up non toxic ones but in the meantime I will net off as many as I can.
Alicat
West Berkshire

18-05-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I think rhodedendrons are poisonous to dogs and at this time of year slug pellets can be lethal.
Yes, i think they are as well Aerolor. There was an article on Countryfile this week about rhodedendrons as they kill the lambs when they eat them.
Alicat
West Berkshire

18-05-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
I almost lost Minxy as a pup after she ate lily of the valley She was so ill it was dreadful.
I'm sorry to hear that Cassie. Pup's do chew everything don't they but not alot of adult dogs will chew plants ........ unfortunately our asti does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top