Join for free
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 07:18 AM

Dogs and sunburn

Protect Your Dog From Sunburn
http://bit.ly/9zXYo4

I never knew dogs could get sunburn, how can you tell? Do they go red then brown? One of the Jacks has got a short coat and he just loves the sun.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Re: Dogs and sunburn

Rocky loves the sun... but to just laze in

Thanks for the reminder Val!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 06:51 PM

I think (like cats) that white dogs, especially short coated ones - can get burnt - sometimes you need to put a bit of sun blocker on their ears. They are susceptible to skin cancer on their ears.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 06:55 PM

It is dangerous to let dogs lie in the sun too long - they can get heat stroke, which, I believe, can be fatal to some dogs! When Loki is lying in the back of Grant's car and if the sun gets in - I put something up - such as today, some sun was filtering into the back of the car when we were at Lochwinnoch and I put my jacket up at the window to shield her!

http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm...nd_heat_stroke

The owner of a pet forum I am on lost his beautiful dog to heat stroke a couple of years ago.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Basenji's love the sun, but they do move into the shade if it's too hot though.

I am always amazed at the number of people who still walk their dogs in the heat.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
Basenji's love the sun, but they do move into the shade if it's too hot though.

I am always amazed at the number of people who still walk their dogs in the heat.
So am I Moetmum. Coming back from shopping today saw a couple with two long haired Shepherds. They were walking along the pavement in full sun with the poor dogs trailing behind with their tongues nearly dragging on the floor Just hope the dogs were ok when they eventually arrived where they were going................
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 12:09 AM

I used to have plaster my horse in sunblock and only turn her out when the sun had gone down and stable her in the day. The sunblock was good for the times when she had to go out for a bit and it had got very sunny fast.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 08:41 AM

Our dogs always move out of the sun, we take them to the beach to cool down and they finish drying off at home, we've got a brook that runs into the sea and its lovely for them, its best to walk them in the morning and evening when its cooler. How do you know if they've got sunburn?
Its the fair weather dogs I feel sorry for, you only ever see them in the summer. poor things.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 11:00 AM

You have to be very careful with cats too, especially white ones. Cassie is a tortie and white so has quite a wide area of white on her. She loves laying in the sunny spots in the garden and it's hopeless trying to move her into a shady spot.
I usually end up following her around and placing a large plant pot between her and the sun!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top