Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 10:28 AM

Re: 2017 cruise

Not the cruising Realspeed , just the general tenor of the post and the snobbery that radiated from it.

Heavens next it will be, we have ordered our new car for 2017. We thought perhaps a new £250K Bentley but all the Chav's seem to be driving them which will spoil our driving experience , so we have settled for a £30 million pound McClaren to separate us from the common riff-raff.

Yes my first cruise was to Mauritius in fact, stopping off as one does. Very exciting in fact, 1942 and I was three. Took weeks as we had to sail a zig-zag course to avoid the German Uboats. Much enjoyed however as we had many servants and were top of the pile while we lived there.

My idea of a holiday on water was self sail down from the Greek Mainland around the islands. These days I have a job to get into the bath and having done so have a job to get out, so any holiday is now history. Plus I would add that I would pay 6 grand not to have to go on a cruise.
If I could do it, active holidays would be the choice and have been the preference.
Little point in booking holidays for next year as I may not be here, even if I was able to go which I cannot.

So time again, many fishing holidays around the world.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Not the cruising Realspeed , just the general tenor of the post and the snobbery that radiated from it.

Heavens next it will be, we have ordered our new car for 2017. We thought perhaps a new £250K Bentley but all the Chav's seem to be driving them which will spoil our driving experience , so we have settled for a £30 million pound McClaren to separate us from the common riff-raff.

Yes my first cruise was to Mauritius in fact, stopping off as one does. Very exciting in fact, 1942 and I was three. Took weeks as we had to sail a zig-zag course to avoid the German Uboats. Much enjoyed however as we had many servants and were top of the pile while we lived there.

My idea of a holiday on water was self sail down from the Greek Mainland around the islands. These days I have a job to get into the bath and having done so have a job to get out, so any holiday is now history. Plus I would add that I would pay 6 grand not to have to go on a cruise.
If I could do it, active holidays would be the choice and have been the preference.
Little point in booking holidays for next year as I may not be here, even if I was able to go which I cannot.

So time again, many fishing holidays around the world.
I did ask politely and your reply is for others to judge. I have my own opinion but will keep to myself
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I did ask politely and your reply is for others to judge. I have my own opinion but will keep to myself

Sorry but Dukeofearl reply did make me laugh...as so did his rebuttle to you
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 02:31 PM

Bit boriing going to same place each year
Do Vegas 3 times a year never boring.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 02:40 PM

Oi Dukey-boy!

Stop "dis"ing the teachers!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Bazza, rise above it, and just enjoy your holiday.

I thought D of E's original unpleasant comment (post 21) was aimed at Realist, not you? It seems it has since been extended to both of you.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Oi Dukey-boy!

Stop "dis"ing the teachers!
Oh not you xx. I would be quite happy on a slow boat to China with you

Then again the thought of getting all the snob value togs on evenings to go down for a meal, while being bored to tears by the like minded snobs telling each other about the many cruises they had been on.
Last month on TV , the Cruise Lovers, my god what snobs. Old girls who look liked they had put their make-up on with putty knives, made worse only by the vulgarity of their jewelry and pathetic efforts to speak with a "plum in their mouth", which comes natural to me
Then cruises aint me, if I visited a city etc I want to get a feel for the place and people, not fed a tourist trail for the mugs and walking around a pile of old stones in the sweating hot does not do a lot for me after a while.
Well just had the top down on the Merc, the beaches are packed so went inland and had lunch on the river bank, smashing. Fields of yellow rape and multi coloured greens, even a couple of diners had turned up in their own boat.

So end of, horses for courses.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
My idea of total hell, being trapped with complete and utter snobs who consider their ambience is ruined by the "working class", while they try and act out scenarios of being "Upper Class", while in fact being nothing more than working class and stuck up.
FWIW I have never been on a cruise that has "utter snobs". As I said to Goldielocks, when choosing a cruise it is vital to pick one that suits your style and has, in the majority, the kind of people you would be happy spending time with.

This issue with a cruise, or with any holiday where lots of people are together in a confined environment, is that it only works if people respect each other and generally conform to a set of reasonable and decent behaviours. To take a cruise you have to go with that mindset, with the understanding that it's effectively a "joint" holiday and we must all play our part to make it work.

The issues I highlighted about Ventura are not "class" issues as such. It is not "snobs" vs "chavs" it is rather decent respectful people vs selfish uncaring people. Parents who let their kids run riot, no matter what their class, ruin it for everyone else.

The reason class appears to come into the equation is because people who select cheap, party animal, type holidays have certain expectations of what they can do. For example, people who go to say Ibiza for a week to "Ave it large" expect to be able to drink themselves paralytic, shout and scream to their hearts content and stay up into the small hours or right through the night to do so. That is perfectly fine for that type of holiday. It's their choice to do that.

The problem arises when cruise lines suddenly reduce their ticket prices to get "bums in cabins" and then suddenly the same people who like to "ave it large" realise that they could instead take a cruise. So they book one, and then just expect that the same set of behaviours will be ok on the ship, which of course they are not. This creates all manner of problems and really is just the tip of the iceberg.

Cruising is a community pastime. It is a collective of hopefully likeminded people who above all else, respect and care for their fellow passengers. In doing so, they create a wonderful holiday experience.

Cruising is a fantastic, even majestic way to travel. To look out over the oceans and visit different countries each day is quite an experience and being able to come home every day to your 4-5 star floating hotel with air conditioning and fantastic service is, for me, a million times better than hiring some crappy apartment with white-washed walls in sweltering heat, stuck in one place for 1-2 weeks.

There are many different cruise lines with varying levels of formality and service. This allows individuals to select one that suits them. I tend to like P&O Cruises because they fundamentally cater for the Brit market and have a reasonable blend of formality and smart casual dress codes.
It's not in any way "stuck up" or snobbish, nor is it a Club 18 party style cruise. I've met a lot of lovely people whilst cruising and made some long term friends. It is the best way to travel imo.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 05:47 PM

I booked a 2017 river/canal cruise at the end of February as soon as the catalogue appeared, otherwise it's impossible to get single cabins.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 06:11 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys. Very informative all of them I am probably veering more to an adults only cruise with stays at particular locations maybe two centre stays.

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top