Join for free
Page 120 of 505 « First < 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 170 220 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's been said it's the family culture with many generations mixing frequently. As well as this the kissing on each cheek when greeting has helped spread the virus. Probably why Kensington & Chelsea borough has so many cases. Mwah! Mwah!
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Hello

It worries me that people like that surgeon had gone straight back to work after returning from Italy and potentially affected many more people also the story about Nadine Dorrie states she had symptoms from Thursday but still went to a parliament thing Friday and saw her own constituents Saturday. ..so who else in the Govt could have potentially caught it?

I'm nowhere near London (thank god) but if everyone adopts the same attitude everywhere that's a lot of people infected before they decide they can no longer get away with denying they may have it?

I am only just in my 50's but have immune system issues due to a couple of conditions. I often get chest infections in winter after family and friends have visited for xmas (had one already back in january that led to bronchitis).

Whilst I'm not worried about missing social events and get my food delivered anyway I have a dog to walk and no-one else easily available to take over this duty.

I'm assuming as its only close contact with others that leads to it being passed on being in a remote field with the dog at 5am would not pose a threat to anyone else if there was no-one else there (as long as I didn't touch any public bins or gates etc).

Susan
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:40 AM

The way I see it is this:-

It's a virus, and like any other virus is transmitted from person to person either by direct contact or airborne particles. Viruses are usually at their most active during the winter months, and the Flu virus has in the past spread around just as fast as the Coronavirus, but it never gets reported in the media, so no panic.

The main difference is the fact that it can be more serious than the Flu virus and the elderly and those with underlying medical problems are less likely to survive hence the higher mortality rate. I noticed on Bruce's daily bulletins that the recovery rate is very low, and I suspect that viruses take longer to work through the system than say a common cold, or even the Flu Virus, but in the coming weeks I expect to see the recovery rate increase dramatically.

I have only ever had the Flu virus twice in my life (69 years) and I have no reason to believe that Coronavirus is coming to get me if I continue in the lifestyle that I have over the last twenty years plus, of a virus free life.
That doesn't mean that I shall be complacent to the threat. You can only catch it if you come into contact with someone who already has the virus, and because nobody in the Doncaster area has been reported as having the virus, yet! I shall carry on as normal but avoid crowded places, which is something I usually do anyway.

I have always washed my hands regularly, not just for the Coronavirus but any other contamination on shopping trolleys, handrails and money, but being a respiratory infection it would have to gain access through your nose and mouth........So keep it shut!....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:47 AM

Apparently smoke kills the virus, perhaps we should all start smoking.....Or perhaps it's spreading faster due to so many no smoking areas.....
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
perhaps we should all start smoking
and when it's over think how much
we could save by giving up!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-03-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
Hello

It worries me that people like that surgeon had gone straight back to work after returning from Italy and potentially affected many more people also the story about Nadine Dorrie states she had symptoms from Thursday but still went to a parliament thing Friday and saw her own constituents Saturday. ..so who else in the Govt could have potentially caught it?

I'm nowhere near London (thank god) but if everyone adopts the same attitude everywhere that's a lot of people infected before they decide they can no longer get away with denying they may have it?

I am only just in my 50's but have immune system issues due to a couple of conditions. I often get chest infections in winter after family and friends have visited for xmas (had one already back in january that led to bronchitis).

Whilst I'm not worried about missing social events and get my food delivered anyway I have a dog to walk and no-one else easily available to take over this duty.

I'm assuming as its only close contact with others that leads to it being passed on being in a remote field with the dog at 5am would not pose a threat to anyone else if there was no-one else there (as long as I didn't touch any public bins or gates etc).

Susan
I'm no expert Susan but I think the virus doesn't spread so fast outdoors. In the cold it's lifespan is dramatically reduced as opposed to a warm environment. However, If you get cold on your chest from being outside and breathing in the cold air, your resistance to it will be reduced and that will be the time to be careful who you come into contact with.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
and when it's over think how much
we could save by giving up!
I managed to give up smoking once biffo, I don't think I could do it again....I might just let the virus have it's wicked way with me.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-03-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's been said it's the family culture with many generations mixing frequently. As well as this the kissing on each cheek when greeting has helped spread the virus. Probably why Kensington & Chelsea borough has so many cases. Mwah! Mwah!
Bang on 'Dharling'......
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 01:43 PM

We're a kissy/huggy Family but decided when They were visiting here last Night on SILs Birthday that We'd just do 'elbow bumps' instead...gave Us a bit of a laugh
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Apparently smoke kills the virus, perhaps we should all start smoking.....Or perhaps it's spreading faster due to so many no smoking areas.....
In that case I shouldn't get it. I will blow smoke over people I pass in the street & if they complain I'll say I am protecting myself from Coronavirus.

Page 120 of 505 « First < 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 170 220 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top