Join for free
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Ground Elder

To all you budding gardeners out there. Have you ever managed to get rid of ground elder without too much difficulty

I've searched online on and off over past few years and there doesn't seem to be a miracle cure or product to get rid of it so if anybody here has had any success please share. Digging it up and getting to the roots is not an option as there is way too much and its gradually starting to creep into the lawn area.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Re: Ground Elder

I am afraid it is almost impossible to get rid of ground elder Marion without the use of harsh chemicals.
I have the added problem that if I cut down on mine it creeps through again from my neighbours garden

I have been reduced to covering one area with black ground fabric and covering it with bark chippings.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 07:29 PM

I remember my Dad having Ground Elder literally covering the top of his garden - it wasn't helped by the people next door to him neglecting their garden.

He tried virtually everything to try to get rid of it but was unsuccessful. Weed killer would never kill it all completely and if he tried digging it up, it would always grow again from the tiny pieces of root that were overlooked
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Yes its dreadful and the only way seems to be to cover it in Black plastic, sorry.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Thanks ladies It really is horrible stuff. I'm surprised though in this day and age that there's no miracle product on the emarket to get rid of it

I had it in my last garden and had somebody create a border for me and he used weed killer on it but a few years later it started to creep back!

I have lots and lots of snowdrops and daffs and bluebells in the garden where the ground elder is so it would be difficult to put the black fabric down, I've noticed that in some areas its creeping into the lawn

I'm still hoping for a miracle solution
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 02:34 AM

not herd of that
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 07:48 PM

If you move any plants marpaul make sure there are no white roots amongst the plants as thats the little devil,Monty Don said you just have to learn to ignore it as you wont kill it.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 08:21 PM

I have a plant in my garden cant get rid it its spreding like wild fire
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Digging it out and digging again(and again)is the only way. If it`s in the lawn or amongst shrubs repeated mowing/cutting it back to ground level will eventually see it off-well maybe.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top