Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 11:08 PM

Empty Shops in Town Centres

While it is true that many people choose to shop On-line and it has contributed to closures of Shops and Famous Stores
The fact is that Commercial Shop Property owners charge very high rents, and Shop owners are unable to meet these high rents, which often increase every few years
Much of the property in Town Centres is owned by Local Councils and The Chuch of England too.
They would rather put people out of business than reduce the rent.

Why can't they be Rent Controlled like Rented accommodation?

Britain is no longer a 'Nation of Shopkeepers' as Napoleon once said.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 11:12 PM

Re: Empty Shops in Town Centres

I agree with you Azure - and as for markets!!

Our local one is pathetic now. No more than 6 stalls where there used to be 4 dozen or more.

Too much rent charged for the stalls...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Very true Azure. We have seen about 50% of shops in our town disappear since we moved here, along with the banks and building societies. Sainsbury's is partly responsible for that along with ever increasing rates. The loading bays that were for the shops are now used mainly by courier companies delivering parcels directly.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

Our local one is pathetic now. No more than 6 stalls where there used to be 4 dozen or more.

Yes carol.

Even Car Boot pitches are £25.00 per day .and you have to be there by 6 am.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 11:22 PM

I think that's so true, and the town centres are becoming a sad place to be.

I suppose a lot of the property owners are based in London.

Taking that as an example of a local Craft Centre, with numerous units rented out. What a hive of interest with unusual shops to keep the visitors entertained , spending their money and fed and watered all afternoon.

Then property owners who inherited (his family)were no longer local after the old man died, as they lived London and the Trust proceeded to take care of everything from down there.
First off the rents went sky high, and became very much on a par with London rents.. and that was the problem.

Too expensive for these small outlets and not in keeping with the local rents elsewhere in the same area. Needless to say, there was a gradual withdrawal of the shops , some to other places, some went out of business and now very few people visit as it has very little to offer.

Such a shame, but even the big companies are closing as online shopping (which they couldn't wait to be part of ) has not done them any favours .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:08 AM

Isn't all this just a sign of how this country has gone for years now? Everything increases in price, it's a never-ending vicious circle. To counteract that something else is increased and then something else needs to go up in price. Take that from any angle you like and apply it to anything you like – it's called 'greed'. If only all this could just stop then people could perhaps prevent themselves from getting on this 'merry-go-round' of continually increasing prices and wages.

I believe it all starts with those who run the organisations and companies – accountants. They are always saying that year on year profits have to increase and there's only one place those profits can come from, that's us, the people who pay for the goods and services these companies and organisations provide.

That's my take on it and it's been going on for years and years, now we are seeing the results of it all!
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I've watched the downfall of the markets for twenty years as a trader myself...apart from rent and rates other forces have contributed to the demise of the markets.

The end of Sunday Trading laws began the rot giving the big boys the opportunity to open their doors and steal what little trade was left available to the small trader.

That and more and more parking restrictions affected the footfall around the markets and town centres.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:48 AM

All of the above but also the punitive parking charges levied by councils that penalise motorists forcing them into out of town shopping centres where the parking is free or shopping on line which is more the norm these days.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 05:38 AM

I think in the future there will be big changes to internet shopping given the climate debate. Perhaps our shopping will be delivered by drones.

But the changes in our high street are devastating and it feels like we are heading back to the dark ages. If this continues there will be no consumer choice and you will either have to like or lump what's on offer.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
They would rather put people out of business than reduce the rent.
But that would make no sense. Surely better to get some rent than no rent?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top