Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 09:50 PM

Re: People Are Dropping The Definite Article (the) More and More.

We have already established that.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 07:56 AM

It is not only 'the' that goes missing without permission - has anyone noticed how 'of' also sometimes vanishes? Usually in 'american' conversations/TV shows - eg: a couple hundred, a couple friends, a couple books.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'll definitely look out for this utterly disgraceful behavoir, Gravitas and let you know when I see it happening.
We can change the world together making it a better place for all.
Maybe we need to set up our own local groups Floydy.... drag the buggers into the street and beat the definate article into them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Yea Gods there are far more important things in life ...
Like how to stop the whole world greeting one with HIYAAA !!!
FGS what happened to good morning / afternoon ?
But where would we be without Gravy's grammar lessons? Total anarchy, that's where.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
It is not only 'the' that goes missing without permission - has anyone noticed how 'of' also sometimes vanishes? Usually in 'american' conversations/TV shows - eg: a couple hundred, a couple friends, a couple books.
What do you got?
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Language changes. Live with it.
Language does change and not always for the better.

If you don't believe me, just one example - listen to football pundits.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Has ANYONE now noticed any cases?

I just heard Jeremy Corbyn on PMQs saying "She might want to take what United Nations said..."
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 01:49 PM

I've never heard this language oddity in my life, maybe the OP lives in a part of the world where it's commonly used. What I do find really irritating is hearing people in the media and beyond beginning every damn sentence with "so."

Where I now live (Swindon) people getting off buses often say "thanks drive" to the driver! Now that IS peculiar. Would they say thanks police to a copper, or thanks gross to a grocer? What's that all about?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I've never heard this language oddity in my life, maybe the OP lives in a part of the world where it's commonly used. What I do find really irritating is hearing people in the media and beyond beginning every damn sentence with "so."

Where I now live (Swindon) people getting off buses often say "thanks drive" to the driver! Now that IS peculiar. Would they say thanks police to a copper, or thanks gross to a grocer? What's that all about?
I always thank the bus driver when I get off a bus.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Has ANYONE now noticed any cases?

I just heard Jeremy Corbyn on PMQs saying "She might want to take what United Nations said..."
Very few of the things Corbyn has to say make any sense to me anyway G , he just mumbles a lot of nonsense into his beard ....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top