Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 08:06 PM

Central Heating insurance

We have been insured with a company for our Central Heating and gas fire for 12 years now we have been paying £223 per year for the privilidge of having it serviced in all that time we have had 2 things repaired one was a switch to turn the Central Heating over from water to heating the second a valve on a radiator ... We recieved a lovely letter the other day to say that they will no longer insure us owing to the age of the boiler (it's about 25years old) on the policy if it had to be replaced they would only give us £100 any way so I really don't understand what is going on....
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Re: Central Heating insurance

We were insured for 18 years Suey and paid approx the same price, we hardly had a claim, 4 years ago I cancelled the policy and got a guy in to service the boiler.

I've replaced 2 rad valves myself in that time, the boiler only needs dust and debris brushed out and that's it basically, the only moving part is the circulation pump and you can replace that too.

If it's a combi boiler you have the insurance company have realised it's near the end of it's life and this is why they've stopped your policy, . . cheeky sods.
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2009, 02:43 PM

We don't have Central Heating
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2009, 07:57 PM

It's not a combi boiler Nero thats the one thing that really annoys us they keep trying to push combi's down your throat I like having a tank and an airing cupboard which I wouldn't have as the boiler would have to go in there as I only have a really small kitchen and the boiler we have at the moment fits in a false cupboard in there which one of those ginormous boiler wouldn't it's a very basic easy system we have.. the boiler is a glow worm...
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
It's not a combi boiler Nero thats the one thing that really annoys us they keep trying to push combi's down your throat I like having a tank and an airing cupboard which I wouldn't have as the boiler would have to go in there as I only have a really small kitchen and the boiler we have at the moment fits in a false cupboard in there which one of those ginormous boiler wouldn't it's a very basic easy system we have.. the boiler is a glow worm...
Must be similar to ours, we have a Baxi, they last forever as the heat exchanger's cast iron, sadly you can't get them no more.

The combi's are a nightmare coz the heat exchangers are pressed steel and rust like hell after only a few years.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Must be similar to ours, we have a Baxi, they last forever as the heat exchanger's cast iron, sadly you can't get them no more.

The combi's are a nightmare coz the heat exchangers are pressed steel and rust like hell after only a few years.

Must agree that its much better to get a little man from round the corner as long as he is register under Corgi and Gas Safe, the insurance is a rip off.

The new condesing boilers weather Combis or Standard C/H are at least 92% efficient com paired to the old type of 62%(Back boilers with gas fire) to 74%

Balanced flue.

A story of a person insured by British Gas

The heating stopped working, She called in BG engineer and was told that the system was silted up and needed it to be powered flushed out(Insurance does not included silted up systems)and was quoted £530.

Her mother who was a customer of mine and had more sense than to take out BG insurance sent me round, I switch on the boiler, it and the pump made a funny noise, I vented the pump, the C/H worked took 4 minutes charged her£12.

By the way not a lot of people dont no that BG insurance does not include the replacment of a boiler only the repair
suey
Shropshire

23-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Our insurance wasn't with BG it is Direct Assist which was used by SWALEC when we changed to them years ago but our system is really econimical we have very light bills and our neighbours all have Combi's and they seem to break down regulary and next door is on his 3rd boiler in 12 years not impressed at all ... Do you think if it does give up the ghost we would be able to get the same or similar boiler done through a private company...
Another insurance query we have our plumbing through Severn Trent and we had a problem with the tank in the attic it was tipping and so leaking so we called the insurers and they sent a plumber who said all he could do was make it safe and we had to get a private plumber to put the job right my husband said I can turn the water off at the stop tap again spending money for a poor service don't you think....
By the way Oh is useless when it comes to DIY or anything domestic hehe...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by suey ->
Do you think if it does give up the ghost we would be able to get the same or similar boiler done through a private company...

Weather a combi or a conventional boiler it by law must be a condensing one,

And all boilers are low water content heat exchangers and electronic control boards.

Fair price for a new boiler would be about £2000 to £2500
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2009, 07:32 AM

We don't have insurance we have two boilers, nothing has gone wrong with them so far, we just have them serviced.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2009, 11:26 PM

I personally think they're a waste. Total cost to get central heating put in is around £2,500 - so that's the max if everything went wrong (not inc damage), so I figure that I might as well pay for what does go wrong when it does if it does

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top