Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Is there no justice ?

The highest court (that's a joke for starters) has decreed that banks will not have to pay back billions of pounds to their customers who've been fleeced because they overdrew on their accounts.

The banks will continue to charge £5 per day plus £30 for a letter they'll send you to say you're overdrawn, unless you take an overdraft facility on your account.
Meanwhile the hight-flyers in banking will still rake in their ill gotten bonuses and smirk at the poorer folks.

This is not a judicial decision, it's not even a financial decision, It's a political decision, made by Blackadder and his chancellor Baldrick.

I have no worries on this decision coz I do have an overdraft facility on my account buy I feel for those who don't, these are the vulnerable folks who because of either income or unemployment reasons cannot get an overdraft agreement.

This is the straw that broke the camels back as far as I'm concerned, I shall never vote labour again, I won't vote tory either, if there's no other choice I'll vote BNP and sod them all.

At least with the BNP you know where you stand, not like the two main parties, IMO they're all liars and thieves, they're still arguing over paying back our cash they stole from us, . . sod em all.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Re: Is there no justice ?

ffs nero - get a grip
bnp?
You know better than that
It sickens me to hear people talk like that, it really does.
For what it's worth I have the feeling there may be many decent or half decent independent candidates come the election

Edit I think I also heard that customers are not precluded from taking up their complaints with their own banks, rather than this 'Class Act' which was sought. So all is not lost for them. I'm sure there will be bodies coming forward to help them
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
ffs nero - get a grip
bnp?
You know better than that
It sickens me to hear people talk like that, it really does.
For what it's worth I have the feeling there may be many decent or half decent independent candidates come the election

Edit I think I also heard that customers are not precluded from taking up their complaints with their own banks, rather than this 'Class Act' which was sought. So all is not lost for them. I'm sure there will be bodies coming forward to help them
It's finished, end of story, there'll be no refunds, even trading standards have given up!
The decision not to back the customers was made by the law lords, end of!

I will get a grip, . . with my ballot paper, . . and I know where I won't be putting my X.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2009, 06:11 PM

I hate banks! But trust me, that's no reason to vote bnp. Nero I thought you were more clued up than that dude - only the less intelligent fall for their crap tbh.

Re the banks - I agree they should pay back, but I think the govt had little choice, given so many of them are on the verge of bankruptcy already. (If that happens the economy is screwed).

I reckon they should have deferred the decision until the banks are back to normal operating revenues.
nero
Central Scotland

25-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Perhaps it was a knee-jerk reaction on my part about the BNP but I'm so angry at this decision with the supreme court.

There's an old saying, "better the devil you know than the one you don't", we all know the BNP are devils but so are this current government IMO.
I worked out the pending claims aggrieved customers have, if the banks paid back the cash back to them it would come to around 27 million pounds.
There are 1.2 million claims pending at this moment, 42% of which exceed £500, two high courts made the decision the banks should pay back the money but the lords shot them down.
Mr Brown knew the amount too but IMO he also knew the lords would find in favour of the banks.

The claimants can take individual banks to court but the banks know they'll win, . . there's no justice in someone overdrawing £10 on say a Wednesday then having to fork out £39 on the Friday when they get their pay check.

A spokeswoman for the banking industry would'nt admit these charges were wrong, she said each individual bank can make it's own charges, in other words they have a licence to rip customers off, . . shocking!

You may recall the quandary I was in 2 months ago with General Motors when they charged me £670 for a repair my car did'nt need, I was advised by my lawyer to take them to court but she could'nt guarantee I'd be awarded court costs, she was confident I'd win the case too but costs could've been more than the claim was worth.
Same thing with the folks who've been ripped off by the banks, . . there's no justice for the small man.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2009, 07:53 PM

I'm pleased you've calmed down a little nero - your posts don't strike me generally as someone who doesn't use your brain. I'm glad I deleted a lot of the original response I tapped!

The bank thing has two sides doesn't it? If you haven't taken an unauthorised overdraft you won't be penalised. It seems somehow wrong for folk who manage their financial affairs OK to have financial penalties like a £2.50 charge per ATM withdrawl, or annual fees for running a 'bog-standard' account that stays in credit, which is what they were talking about had the banks been forced to pay up..

On the other hand, some of the charges for bouncing a cheque or sending an overdraft letter have been ridiculous and have undoubtedly added to people's problems. Haven't the banks put their hands up to this and I think it's Lloyds who are now charging £5 a whack?

There's a strong case for saying that a banking system is as much a public utility as water or power and should therefore be under the control of the state. But we've privatised all those others so the chances of that are zilch - which is sad when, as you say, some are becoming obscenely rich on all our backs. There I am sounding like an old leftie there!

I think the people who really have been stuffed beyond all reason with usorious charges should still go ahead with their claims - even if they have to use one of the dreaded 'where there's blame there's a claim' firms. Someone will be around to take up their case (for a percentage)
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2009, 08:03 PM

All together now.........

"It`s the same the `ole world over
Ain`t it all a blooming shame?
It`s the Rich what gets the pleasure
And the Poor what gets the blame..."
nero
Central Scotland

25-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Sorry about the outburst this morning DM, . . I'd just seen the news item and was furious.

It can or should be resolved so easily too, . . people who have not, or are unable to arrange an overdraft facility should only be allowed to withdraw from ATM's, funds that are available in their account.

The banks know this, but they're being greedy, . . . this is fact, I heard it today, . . . "banks make their biggest profit from charging penalties to overdrawn customers".

This government knows this too, and because they bailed out the banks last year and own the majority shares in RBS and Lloyds they've joined the gravy train too, . . shocking is'nt the term I'd use face to face with Mr Brown, . . ultimately he's our leader, the buck should stop with him, . . president Trueman had a plaque on his desk, it read, . "the buck stops here".

I am so disappointed in Gordon, . . he was a great chancellor but somewhere along the way he's let us down.
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2009, 04:43 PM

I have just caught up on this thread..well done nero for considering the British National Party ..as the name says its standing up for the British people s of this country,,it is made up of ordinary men and women..who are fed up with the Lib/Lie/Con parties..that are at present ruining this country..when Liebour took over in 1996 we were the 3/4 richest country in the world we are now broke..acording to Jeremy Vine the other day natioanal debt is increasing by £13,000 per second, our contribution to europe , membership fee, is £48,million a day set to go up next year by 60%, because Brown thinks we should be paying more to help the new Eastern euopean countrys we are the most overcrowded country in the EU apart from Malta.. it is time we had a government that put the British people and this country first..
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2009, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by tomcat ->
...as the name says its standing up for the British people s of this country...
No, they're not - they're just trying to fool us that they are. Opportunistic little poos is what I'd call them.

There about as backwards as you can get - have no idea how you got sucked up in their nonsense to be honest Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top