Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 08:20 AM

Mocking Christmas card

Just seen this on BBC breakfast http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/8411894.stm

Is mocking anyone acceptable at any time?

I'm saying a firm no.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Re: Mocking Christmas card

It's the old question of where does humour stop and cruelty start; or where does gentle teasing become genuine unkindness or worse?
I enjoy self-deprecating humour, my family tend to show their love by joshing (if they're polite you worry you have offended them) but I think a great deal of currently fashionable humour is just not nice.
Where did the trend to mock redheads come from? I don't think it's very funny at all. And a christmas card is possibly one of the worst places to display it.
Bah humbug!
(and I've just read a post somewhere saying that, for oldies, ( - self-deprecating there) we don't moan a lot!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Very difficult to call.

All humour will insult someone at one time or other.

On the whole think this is nasty and could be sent by cowardly bullies anon.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Where does it all stop though ?

If they print kids cards with kids with blonde hair or any colour for that matter what's the gripe.

I may be wrong but methinks their mum is the offended one and encouraging her kids to moan too.
chinadoll
Wales
chinadoll is female  chinadoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Bad taste especailly at Xmas. I like ginger hair like Maria on Holby City and Rob Kazinzky aka Sean on EE ooh and Damien Lewis. Some muppets just don't stop to think!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 05:16 PM

I think it depends on the context - if it's just a jokey card where the people happen to have ginger hair, then that's one thing, but if the joke was on ginger haired people then I think it's not very nice at all... especially as it's widely known they get bullied all the time because of it.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I think it depends on the context - if it's just a jokey card where the people happen to have ginger hair, then that's one thing, but if the joke was on ginger haired people then I think it's not very nice at all... especially as it's widely known they get bullied all the time because of it.
I had blonde really curly hair when I was lad, . . they used to call me mop-head at school, . . it never *%#@?! bothered me at all.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 07:34 PM

I had red hair when I was young and jibes never offended me. Still dont now. Some people are too sensitive. Dont like deliberate cruelty or nastiness but gentle humour isnt offensive. The woman has probably upset her children even more, they wouldnt have noticed it if she hadnt made a fuss and drawn attention to it
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by doglover ->
I had red hair when I was young and jibes never offended me. Still dont now. Some people are too sensitive. Dont like deliberate cruelty or nastiness but gentle humour isnt offensive. The woman has probably upset her children even more, they wouldnt have noticed it if she hadnt made a fuss and drawn attention to it
I too had red hair (or ginger if you will) when younger. Now I could give two hoots about what people think or say. However, I remember jibes at school and that hurt me as a kid, and in your tender, developmental years that is wrong. Cards like this will just encourage that sort of taunting, and we should protect kids from psychological harm just as much as physical harm imo.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 08:29 PM

My sister is a red-head - the most glorious titian colour. We used to call her ginger nut etc. She called me a lot worse back.
There was a study recently by a child psychologist which said children`s name-calling etc. actually made them stronger - more able to stand up to future challenges. So maybe this mum should have just explained to the kids that it was silly joke rather than complaining.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top