Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 08:33 PM

Re: Mocking Christmas card

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
My sister is a red-head - the most glorious titian colour. We used to call her ginger nut etc. She called me a lot worse back.
There was a study recently by a child psychologist which said children`s name-calling etc. actually made them stronger - more able to stand up to future challenges. So maybe this mum should have just explained to the kids that it was silly joke rather than complaining.
Great post Claire, you put into words what I tried to do earlier, we used to call red-heads carrot-tops and no one minded in the least.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 08:55 PM

My sister is a red-head - the most glorious titian colour. We used to call her ginger nut etc. She called me a lot worse back.
There was a study recently by a child psychologist which said children`s name-calling etc. actually made them stronger - more able to stand up to future challenges. So maybe this mum should have just explained to the kids that it was silly joke rather than complaining.

Good point. I do feel stronger now as a person. However, that miserable feeling as a child is something I would never like to experience again. And I think the point here is it is adults (the card designers, Tesco buyers etc) that are taunting certain people in society, not children. To some degree we could forgive children for taunting each other, but is that learned behaviour????
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2009, 05:35 PM

I agree Claire, where is the line? For me personally I don't like jokey Christmas cards, it doesn't sit well with the meaning of Christmas, so as you say this Mum would have done better to tell her kids it devalued the meaning of Christmas rather than to object to some silly wording.
liverbird
Wirral
liverbird is female  liverbird has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2009, 09:39 PM

at first i thought that it was called offensive because of Santa (fat old man) saying he liked all children and pictured a child sitting on his Knee (something that doesn't happen anymore)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top