Join for free
Page 306 of 370 « First < 206 256 296 304 305 306 307 308 316 356 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 02:09 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

While you all are dreaming away full of toast and jam , the sun is just now setting, the pot is brewing iced tea, and I am sitting here on the dock cooling off after a 5 mile run.

Today's outing was a mental health run. You know that kind of workout, the one in which someone or something has stirred you up a bit and you are burning off steam - almost literally! The details of my...um...slightly raised blood pressure are unimportant, but they did yield a spectacular time and a reset of my happy clock. What was I upset about? I can't remember . All is well!

New shoes today, another New Balance pair. This is a runners thing, but over the last few years they have lowered the slope of the shoe so one's foot is less angled and more parallel to the ground. Resistant to change when it comes to my running shoes, I like the feel of this model but am wondering what this new design will do to the back and joints. I suppose there is only one way to find out....

Suffice is to say that trees are a very good thing - worth fighting for and raising one's blood pressure, every now and then .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 12:10 PM

The toast and jam worked a treat Surfermom...
I suspect it would have been a seasons best for the 8 miles I covered this morning.
Why wasn't it? I hear you ask....Well there were a few records set in England yesterday concerning the temperature. I believe some places reached 35*C and although it didn't quite make it that high here in South Yorkshire, we did see 33*C....or at least I did....

At six thirty this morning it was humid (40%) and 20*C nothing compared to Florida, but a bit of a problem for me.... I adopted a relaxed pace and sped off out into the country. Six miles flew by, I even managed a mile of ass kicking speed... but as I reached the last mile and a half my temperature gauge had reached max and sweat was trickling down my forehead and into my eyes, I felt so bad!

In an attempt to make it to the end I imagined I was running on some of my famous finishes and dug in....It worked, and I staggered into the drive and stopped the watch.....Although not a best time, it ranked up there in my top three....Amazing.........

After my disappointment with all the new edition Adidas shoes I purchased those New Balance last year for ninety quid!... And I must say Surfermom, they have been brilliant and responsible for setting quite a few best times over the year, but as you say, they are flat and not the usual wedge shape. In fact all the new shoes I've been looking at recently all seem to have adopted this design.

After 1000 miles I have called time on my favourite Adidas shoes, even though the soles are only slightly worn (I tend to be light on shoes) but I fear the shock absorbing qualities will now be zilch so they have to go.... So once again I'm on the market for a pair of new shoes and I think New Balance will be my brand of choice this time. I have had good results in the past with New Balance, so not much a gamble, but like you Surfermom, It will be interesting to see if the new design causes any problems, they haven't done so far but I have been alternating them with the Adidas ones.....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 01:36 PM

I'm loving the running stories of you both, OldGreyFox and Surfermom. I feel like I am almost there, running along behind you, and I just wish it was me really running. I have noticed I can now trot for a bus without feeling like my knees will give way, but it feels anything but natural. I have to think about what I am doing and my speed is terrible. Still, it's an improvement, and I'll take one of those no matter how small it is.

I've had a week where my overactive immune system and the recently re-authorised Methotrexate were doing battle with each other, with the incumbent nausea that goes with it, but I think the chemo is back in the system. I'm feeling good today, and managed to get to the gym yesterday and it went quite well considering I had missed a couple of days last week and this week. I burnt 505 calories and total lifts for the session was 30,602kg, although I am doing a bit more work on the cable/pulley machines now and they don't have a recording system. I'm quite pleased and looking forward to next week's sessions.

Good luck all, whatever your fitness regime!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:15 AM

My apologies for my absence lately. I have been on the forum in fits and starts and I have kept up to date with our thread here too, although not posting anything because I haven't actually been active at the gym.

However, I have been working hard and doing exterior work at my stepdaughter's house i.e. ripping up a large area of decking only to find that there was another layer underneath! And this was in the baking hot scorcher of a day on Saturday last. It was like the mother of all workouts and I attacked it with a trusty old crowbar and sheer determination. The rest of the day I was simply exhausted

Besides that, work has been very busy and I've been walking miles every night and humping and dumping all manner of cases of safety boots, gloves and coveralls. Keeping me fit, it made up for my lack of presence at the gym last week.
The thing is that, excepting Tachyon, my exercise is confined to the indoors. Bob, Suzie - you have the sunny outdoors to run around but when the weather is as gorgeous as this here the last place I want to be is cooked up sweating it out in the gym. Time is precious and my afternoons are spent in the garden. It's only this year I've started doing this. Before I would train whatever the weather but now I'm thinking that no it's pointless and only brings on stress and doesn't do me any good. So be it.

Bob, Suzie - you two are getting some great running times right now. Amazing work. Bob, enjoy your cruise bud.

Tachyon - nice to see you fully immersed into the new gym equipment and that your health is improving now.

I'll be at the gym today for a catch-up session. Back later with a write-up but without all the intricate details from now on as it just takes up too much time when I could be outdoors instead of on my PC. A brief list of apparatus used and highs and lows will suffice. Take care all and have a nice day
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 05:46 AM

OGF, I totally understand how you feel about your shoes and wish you well with the New Balance models. I really do think that brand is devoted to runners, however I fret a little when they "fix something that ain't broke" by discontinuing excellent models. As I am an over-pronator and old as the Alps, excellent running shoes are the only thing I purchase that I am willing to pay highway robbery prices.

I just checked the humidity and it is still 77% and 29ºC. The heat I can do, but the humidity is brutal on the evaporative process. As next month begins, I'll have to run the beach so the sea breezes can make it tolerable. I think we can adapt to heat - but not so much to humidity. You, however, has proven all that conjecture to be just that since you ran so well. Very well done, but do take care .

Tachyon,
despite the war your body is waging to stabilize, it's extraordinary that you are overcoming the nausea enough to get to the gym. In my mind, that's a lot harder than running in heat and humidity. Good for you!

Floydy, I completely relate to shifting your workouts to more physical endeavors. We have discussed before how tricking the muscles facilitates strength building. All that deck work will just that - and earn you plenty of happy points with your SD. Good of you to help her out!

As the weather has been H & H as H , I'm timing my running until the last possible minute that won't have me finishing in dark. I debated about whether or not to make this a recovery day having spent the entire day scrubbing the house into sparkling submission, but when I remembered that I have yet another zillion mile drive on Wednesday, I thought I'd better get on with it. I ran what I call the osprey trail because they fill nests dotted alongside it, squawking and carrying on in irritation for my coming too quickly (that's relative, I assure you ) and closely (that's relative too, as they are always at least 25 ft aloft) to their nests and young. Impressed but undeterred I struggled my way through 5.25 miles. It was neither my best or 3rd best run of the year, but it was just beautiful with the sky full of pink and blue.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 12:30 PM

Good on you there Suzie A fabulous run which puts my lacklustre efforts (or lack of them) to shame.

I hate to inform you that I will have to break another promise I couldn't sleep this morning and I've had about four hours in total, waking up just after 11 am. Because of this it's no gym again I'm afraid Hell, I hate nights.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

02-07-2019, 06:07 AM

Floydy, OGF would tell you that life is that which gets in the way of our workouts. Too true! You'll get it done. I had to go across town and forgot that this is the week of Independence Day, so seemingly everyone in the country has descended on the beaches here, and I - forgot.

While I would never begrudge any living soul the fun of heading to the shores for a respite, the mystery to me is that seemingly everyone was out in their cars, stacking up traffic for miles. .. As we crept along like a slow-moving centipede, I watched the sun drop lower and lower, with my heart sinking right along with it. My hopes for running faded with the day .

Imagine my elation when, on the way home, I could see from the bridge that the lights to the sportsplex were on! There was a soccer tournament going on which meant that not only was the entire complex illuminated, I could have a cool and safe run for as long as I wanted. The gods of running were on my side tonight!

It was pure fun, watching the matches from a distance and enjoying what felt like a bonus.

5.25 miles. Yes!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Just a very quick write-up to say I finally managed to venture out to the gym this afternoon, well over a week since my last visit. When the sun’s out I have to make use of it, but I made an exception today only because the guilt factor of not training got the better of me. An hour doing 22 different exercises of high reps got me back into the swing of things.

Friday 5 July 2019: Full body High Reps. 1hr. 5mins.
(All weights in kgs)

UPPER BODY

Lat pulldown, underarm:
26x35 +5

Smith shoulder press, 60° incline:
15x25 +5

Smith flat bench press, close grip:
22x30 +5

Seated row:
25x41 +5

Incline chest press:
20x40 +5

Tricep push down:
25x30 +5

Bicep stack pull:
20x20 +5

E-Z preacher curl, seated:
25x23 +5

High-pull bicep cable curls:
20x20 +5

Pec dec:
25x40 +5

Tricep extensions:
30x30 +5

Ab crunch:
50x35 +5

Arm curl machine, alternate:
24x20 +5

Fly delt dec:
30x65 +5

LEGS

Incline leg press (feet low):
40x140 +5

Incline leg press (feet high):
30x130 +5

Seated ham curl:
30x35 +5

Sled press:
30x120 +5

Adductor:
25x45 +5

Abductor:
25x45 +65

Extensions:
40x30 +5

Lying (prone) ham curl:
20x20 +5

My previous high reps session’s figures were all beaten either on reps or weight and next time I’ll add a further couple of reps to the extra 5 on each exercise.

Back to some heavier strength training next week.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekends all
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 08:10 PM

did you find it hard going after being away from the gym for a week?

I was in the pool this morning, did 20 lengths before work! Not been doing any gym work lately as I'm frightened to set my knee off again.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-07-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
did you find it hard going after being away from the gym for a week?

I was in the pool this morning, did 20 lengths before work! Not been doing any gym work lately as I'm frightened to set my knee off again.
Hi LQ
To be honest although it was very warm in the gym even with air con on (which depends on where you are positioned) I went through those exercises pretty easily. The weight was low which was the intention and I hit all the reps I had previously written out as a template.
I'm active at work and move around heavy cases of boots, gloves and other things at work all night, plus I must walk about 10 miles around the warehouse so I never really get out of shape too much. I have set myself some new goals for next time when I'll be hitting the heavy stuff once again. Depending on the weather (obviously my time is short during the day and if it's sunny I won't be at the gym) I'll put in a couple of decent sessions next week.

Well done with your swim today
Very wise on the knee, LQ. Stick to exercise which doesn't tax the area too much, though I do find that using the sled press at the gym keeps my own knee issues at bay and actually strengthens the muscles and joints around it. But you take it easy, you know what's been happening to the lovely ladies on our forum lately!

Page 306 of 370 « First < 206 256 296 304 305 306 307 308 316 356 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top