Join for free
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Re: Statins

Yes I was given statins but have refused point blank to take them also blood pressure tabs as well.I used to do everything I was told by the Doctors but in the last few years say "No way Jose to drugs."Stubborn I know but there you go.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've been busy looking all sorts of things up and I found this: -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ins-truth.html
OK, it's a newspaper article or "filler" when there's not much to "fill" column inches but it is interesting!! stevmk2
I agree with a lot of what the article has to say. I think a lot of drugs are rushed onto the market before adequate time has been given for testing of any possible side effects.

Some years ago hubby was taking a drug for athletes foot prescribed by his doctor until the effected nails grew out. Later in time he read in a newspaper the drug had been withdrawn because it had been causing liver damageHow many times do we read of similar incidents with prescribed drugs.Obviously just because a doctor prescribes a drug doesn't guarantee it will be safe
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 01:56 AM

Meg and the others are right - avoid statins and eat normal healthy food. There is no point feeling guilty about saturated fats either: it is the transfats in processed food you should avoid. There is a body of evidence growing against wheat too, but that is another subject, and I haven't looked into it yet.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Joan ->
There is a body of evidence growing against wheat too, but that is another subject, and I haven't looked into it yet.
Hi Joan- When you find out what the issue is with wheat put your findings on here please. I'd always thought that wheat has been a good worldwide staple food for centuries. I'm only aware it is unsuitable for people with the gluten protein intolerance. If you do find there are other problems do let us know.
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2011, 08:42 PM

My cholestrol was 5.5 and the doc says - too high so was given the dreaded statins Simvastin. The muscles in my calves gave out and I couldn't even walk upstairs - so it was bye bye to them.! I had it taken two months ago and it was 5.6 - again too high but the doc said not to worry. However, I am going to try to reduce it naturally - the usual way, fruit, veg etc and have today started to take a vitamin supplement Lethicin which is supposed to be really good at lowering cholestrol. I hope to have it taken again in about three months to see if I have made any difference. I do take high blood pressure tablets but I am too afraid to stop them 'cause the pressure shoots right up if I do.
rueben
lancs uk

13-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Meg25 ->
My cholestrol was 5.5 and the doc says - too high so was given the dreaded statins Simvastin. The muscles in my calves gave out and I couldn't even walk upstairs - so it was bye bye to them.! I had it taken two months ago and it was 5.6 - again too high but the doc said not to worry. However, I am going to try to reduce it naturally - the usual way, fruit, veg etc and have today started to take a vitamin supplement Lethicin which is supposed to be really good at lowering cholestrol. I hope to have it taken again in about three months to see if I have made any difference. I do take high blood pressure tablets but I am too afraid to stop them 'cause the pressure shoots right up if I do.
Hi Meg- I too take high blood pressure medication. This involves a yearly blood test and check up. I have just had my blood test. A visit to the practice nurse for the results. I ask for a printout of my results to see what is what.
Here are my cholesterol results in the brackets is an acceptable range=

Serum cholesterol =5.5 (3.0-5.0)
Serum triglycerides =0.75 (0.00-1.9)
Serum hdl cholesterol =1.87 (1.20-3.50)
Serum ldl cholesterol =3.3 (0.0-3.0)

Total cholesterol=hdl ratio= 2.9

12 month ago my total serum cholesterol was (5.0) and my total cholesterol hdl ratio was (2.6) and even though it has risen a bit there are no worries because my hdl ratio is acceptable.

The practice nurse and I agree the rise in my ldl is due to not doing much exercise for a while. I gave up playing badminton regularly so I need to do something else to keep me active as lack of regular exercise is one of the things that affects cholesterol levels.

The point I am trying to make is it isn't the total serum cholesterol that is as important as the total hdl ratio.

The aim is to to raise the good(hdl) and lower the bad(ldl) you can still have a higher overall serum cholesterol level but a healthy hdl ratio which is acceptable.
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2011, 05:16 PM

I have been taking them for a couple of years with no side effects and my cholestrol is now under control..I dont even notice any difference in myself so teh statins must suit me..
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 06:20 PM

I have just been catching up on this thread and found it really interesting. My sister found out a month ago that she had high cholesterol and I was advised to be checked as it was the genetic one as my other sister, my brother and my mum has it too. I was checked on Monday and when I rang for the result yesterday the woman said that the doctor said I needed a recheck as I didnt fast. I replied that I had fasted so she said that the doctor had forgotten to get me to have a liver test done anyway so I needed to get that done then go up and see her on Monday. I asked the nurse today why the doctor said that and she said it probably came back high so she assumed I hadnt fasted.

Now my sister has been put on tablets but my problem is that the last two months I have had all over muscle/joint pain which I am having investigated at the moment and I have looked up the side effects of statins and it says that muscle pain is a side effect so Im not prepared to risk making my pain worse as its already unbearable.

I have been shopping today and bought all the correct food and I am going to start trying to walk short distances each day but even that is difficult and when I think I used to walk for 1-2 hours daily across the fields with the dogs last year its very upsetting. The doctor is not taking it seriously at all and says at my age (54) I should expect it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Bridie darlin' - it very much depends on the type of statins you've been given and the dosage. I too had high cholesterol, the doctors prescribed Simvastatin 40mg for me. Everything was ok for a few months, but then there was a gradual build up of pain and cramps in my legs. As a consequence I've stopped taking Simvastatin but have been given Atorvastatin (Lipitor) 10mg and I've been taking that for about 2 years now and I'm fine.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm just worried because I'm in so much pain at the moment anyway. My sister has been taking tablets for a month and hasnt said that she has had any problems. I'm seeing her today so I'll ask her what she thinks. Of course I dont know how high it is yet. If the doctor thinks I didnt fast maybe that means it was really high?

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top