Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Re: Do you pay gas and electric by direct debit?

I have Never, nor NEVER WOULD pay a fuel or any other utility bill by direct debit, nor do I pay un;less I receive a PAPER account!!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:48 PM

Sorry to hear of your plight, Twink.
We have switched back and forth to various providers many times over the years, but we're now with the Co-Op and have found they are very reasonable. In fact, they are a good £30-40 cheaper than the others.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I have Never, nor NEVER WOULD pay a fuel or any other utility bill by direct debit, nor do I pay un;less I receive a PAPER account!!!

And I NEVER pay an estimated bill either.
I always send my water, gas and electric readings in, so I know my bill is correct.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:17 PM

I pay mine by DD (British Gas), so far no problems.

And I can book online when I want them to do the annual check-up. Obviously in summer if possible.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Twink, same happens to me every February. Mine is up for renewal any time now.

Every year they increase it hugely, even though I have always been in credit.
Like you, I have to phone them and argue, and tell them I'm not paying it and that's that!

Before I phone, I sit and work out what my bills have been over the last 12 months, add a bit more for any increase, then divide it by 12 months. That is the new direct debit amount I am paying and not a penny more!

Eventually they always agree with me, and reduce it again.
It just annoys me having to fight them every year because they are pulling a fast one.
I always check my utility bills and give them hell if they try to overcharge, but I am furious when there customer service lines are so undermanned, that it takes ages to get through to complain. I have got better things to do with my time than waste it trying to stop them ripping their customers off.... that is why I told them that I would move to another company if it happened again!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 07:05 PM

I only have electric supply, with EDF. Been with them from the beginning, and see no reason to change. I submit my readings online, when prompted by them, and it shows instantly what I owe. If there is money in my account, I pay up straightaway.

There is no way they will get my payments by DD, as I saw the problem Mum had with British Gas.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks Purwell, they sound like an honest bunch if I have to change!
They are French owned I believe!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:09 PM

When I moved here to the bungalow I found that the old lady who lived here had been using pre payment cards for both gas and electricity.
I was told I couldn't have the meters changed straight away so stuck with the pre payment method but switched both to Eon.

I'm still using it today and not found it a problem. It fits in with my budget plan and I don't get surprise bills. Ok, one night the electricity ran out as I hadn't topped up when i should but I just stuck the card in and pressed the button which gave me £5 credit till I went and topped up again a couple of days later.

I'm keeping quiet about my meters as I presume if their changed they will want me to have those smart meters fitted, and I've heard mutterings about them.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 09:29 PM

The money saving expert website has some gizmo which works out if you're with the most economical supplier and will contact you when it's best to switch suppliers - pretty good gizmo too!
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 09:35 PM

Lindyloo, you’ll almost certainly be paying more for your gas and electricity than you need to. Prepayment meters are notorious for being more more expensive than than the normal meter no matter who the supplier is.

I don’t think you have anything to fear from smart meters.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top