Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Paying Tax.

I am spitting chips here. Rang HMRC to pay Son's tax bill. He had almost forgotten it. Was kept on hold for ages, finally got through to a human & with Son beside me said what we were doing, Son spoke to the man & gave his NI number, address etc, then man said I can't take payment over the phone. How stupid is that. It says at the begining of the phone connection the cards they can take & cards they can't, seems they can't take any cards. So then I had to write a cheque out & got Son to post it, that cost me £6 as I told him to make sure it got there tomorrow. I put a note inside the envelope saying why too. Can't believe they can't take card payments.:tw isted:
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 04:55 PM

Re: Paying Tax.

I pay mine online with a supplied reference number and their banking details. I'm surprised that they didn't offer your son this solution.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I pay mine online with a supplied reference number and their banking details. I'm surprised that they didn't offer your son this solution.
They did but neither of us are good with computers & I was paying the bill not my Son. I don't like putting card details on the net. I wouldn't have minded if it hadn't said at the begining of the phone call by an automated person the credit cards they could accept. Why say that if they can't take them.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Perhaps if he is self employed he should work with the system and should not leave it so late next time, but why are you paying it anyway?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

31-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Perhaps if he is self employed he should work with the system and should not leave it so late next time, but why are you paying it anyway?
He isn't self employed he's paye, I paid because he doesn't earn enough to pay a big to him lump sum like that, in fact why he has to pay tax I don't know.
And yes he should have done it sooner, but he still would have had to pay it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:05 AM

You can't pay by Credit Card anymore.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

01-02-2019, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You can't pay by Credit Card anymore.
I found that out, so why do they say you can at the begining of the phone call?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 03:42 AM

You should have sent them the payment in iTunes vouchers.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Paid mine 2 weeks ago.
The tax due for 2017-2018 plus half of 2018-2019 the other half is due mid year.
No idea why someone on PAYE should even complete a self assessment form let alone pay a lump sum.
Something seems odd maybe take it up with his employer.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
He isn't self employed he's paye, I paid because he doesn't earn enough to pay a big to him lump sum like that, in fact why he has to pay tax I don't know.
And yes he should have done it sooner, but he still would have had to pay it.
I'm at a loss with this Tiff, if he is on PAYE then why does he need to pay a large bill? Normally any under or overpayment just means an adjustment to his tax code for the following year, so it certainly warrants a conversation with his employer's wages department at the very least I would say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top