Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 10:28 AM

Re: All new cars to have speed limiters from 2022

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
And what about all this touch screen technology in cars now. We are fined for using a phone yet we can happily scroll through a menu on the dash.
Quite agree with you, in terms of distraction it must be the same if not worse. If speaking on a mobile phone you can at least keep your eyes on the road, if not full mental attention. Looking to see what or where to touch does not permit either!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 06:14 PM

While driving home from Scarborough on the motorway today I used my cruise control set at 65mph. If you set it at 70mph and drive in the nearside lane you catch the many heavy goods vehicles up too quickly and are constantly having to accelerate to pass them.

But even setting it at 70mph you become a menace on the road as people are queueing behind to overtake. You need the extra speed to find spaces, safe havens and to pass slower drivers quickly and safely.....

And then I had a thought.....
Because vehicle sales have slumped this year, could it be a red herring? Perhaps they never did intend to place speed limiters on motor cars, but think of all the people who are rushing out to buy new vehicles before it becomes law in 2022... It will certainly give the motor trade a healthy boost....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
While driving home from Scarborough on the motorway today I used my cruise control set at 65mph. If you set it at 70mph and drive in the nearside lane you catch the many heavy goods vehicles up too quickly and are constantly having to accelerate to pass them.

But even setting it at 70mph you become a menace on the road as people are queueing behind to overtake. You need the extra speed to find spaces, safe havens and to pass slower drivers quickly and safely.....

Because vehicle sales have slumped this year, could it be a red herring? Perhaps they never did intend to place speed limiters on motor cars, but think of all the people who are rushing out to buy new vehicles before it becomes law in 2022... It will certainly give the motor trade a healthy boost....
I can almost guarantee you saw a speed camera van, at some point on your journey, they usually sit at the bottom of whitwell hill...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I can almost guarantee you saw a speed camera van, at some point on your journey, they usually sit at the bottom of whitwell hill...
I might have done if I'd gone that way Primus.....
It's quicker for me to take the M18 - M62 - Howden - Middleton on the Wold - Driffield - and join the A64 at Staxton....But I very rarely break the speed limit except on motorways where I'll sometimes push it to eighty....Having been a courier I made my living driving all over the UK and it doesn't pay to be reckless with speed limits....
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 10:46 PM

@ Primus1

"The thing is these systems will be linked to gps, how long before they’re used for pay per mile driving?"

Why do you think the EU want their own GPS Galileo?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
@ Primus1

"The thing is these systems will be linked to gps, how long before they’re used for pay per mile driving?"

Why do you think the EU want their own GPS Galileo?
Not the EU our government, they’ll always be looking for ways to tax us especially as more people move to electric vehicles
Primus1
York

29-03-2019, 11:08 PM

I might have done if I'd gone that way Primus.....
It's quicker for me to take the M18 - M62 - Howden - Middleton on the Wold - Driffield - and join the A64 at Staxton....But I very rarely break the speed limit except on motorways where I'll sometimes push it to eighty....Having been a courier I made my living driving all over the UK and it doesn't pay to be reckless with speed limits....
What! and you didn’t see one camera van..?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

30-03-2019, 10:47 AM

What! and you didn’t see one camera van..?
Ask me again when the postman's been Primus...

There are camera van hotspots on the roads I travel and I am always super cautious when driving through these hotspots Primus....But as I've mentioned, it's very rare that I would exceed the speed limits....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 11:34 AM

Because vehicle sales have slumped this year, could it be a red herring? Perhaps they never did intend to place speed limiters on motor cars, but think of all the people who are rushing out to buy new vehicles before it becomes law in 2022... It will certainly give the motor trade a healthy boost...
Nothing would surprise me Foxy. God knows what will happen when everyone is driving electric cars with no road tax to pay. Where will they extort the cash from then I wonder?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 11:36 AM

Not the EU our government, they’ll always be looking for ways to tax us especially as more people move to electric vehicles

Our area is to set up a local Lottery which will fund repairing pot holes apparently. Councils are already shirking their responsibilities.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top