Join for free
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Re: Hysterectomy

I know; I was the same before my cancer surgery; it was worries that something would happen during it, and that I'd react badly to the anaesthesia.... and maybe die!

And I was perfectly fine afterwards!

You're going to be also, look at how many people here you have thinking of you and sending good vibes! I do believe it helps.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Its really strange, I am really disappointed that my body has turned against me. I had three normal pregnancies, apart from an odd blood group everything was ok. During my life I have had very little to worryabout healthwise apart from my husband getting diabetes and worrying about him. It is the word cancer which scares and the fact that for many weeks afterwards I have to 'take it easy' and that will be hard for me and im.

Ialso worry that I am heavy and that I am older than the ladies I know who have had this op. Anyway I will talk it over with a nurse on Wednesday and ask her loads of questions. Meanwhile thank you for the hugs I appreciate them more than i can say.
Cate 3 babies, it sounds as though your body has served you very well . We all have spells of illness through our lives, those who don't are exceptionally lucky.

I don't think a hysto is all that different from a caesarean really, just different bits removed. At least when you have had the operation you can sit back and relax unlike with a ceserean when there are babies to be lifted about .

Also I don't think there is as much 'taking it easy' as there used to be, they like you to be up and doing nowadays

Try to be optimistic we will all be waiting here for your return ready to chat while you are getting better..xx
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 04:53 PM

I can really empathize about the feeling that your body has betrayed you. All my life I was as healthy as a horse, no problems, no allergies, rarely had a cold, very easy menopause, so I was horrified when I suddenly started falling apart all at once! COPD, anemia, colon cancer! I suppose we both should just be grateful for the previous years; we were luckier than many. And it's treatable, not a death sentence; you'll be back to normal before you know it. Chin up!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 06:59 PM

Cate I know how you are feeling, I was 75 when I had half my Bowel removed and I was terrified, like you I had not been really ill, hospital for my children and I was ashamed as I couldnt stop thinking about it. You will be fine when you actually get into hospital, its the waiting as well. Good luck girl, I will be thinking of you, Annie.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 08:38 PM

Hello Cate
I know exactly what you are going through at the moment. I am 64 and had a radical hysterectomy, which I was not expecting, nearly 3 years ago. Please try not to worry too much and don't let it concern you that you are too overweight. The surgeons know exactly what they are doing and I am sure you will be in safe hands. My experience of the surgery was a very positive one, but I was very scared of the surgery - which proved not to be as bad as I feared. My ovaries, cervix and uterus needed to be removed and I had open surgery. I was sore afterwards, but the clinicians do not allow the pain to be severe. The pain relief offered is excellent and it is uncomfortable but tolerable. You do need to do as you are told regarding lifting, resting, exercising etc., afterwards, but I can honestly say that I am so much better now than before the surgery. You will need to give yourself a bit of time to get over the operation and let someone else do the running about for a while, but these days it doesn't mean being confined to bed for any length of time. You are advised to get moving again as soon as possible. Are you able to go to the pre-surgery advice/counselling sessions? If you can I think they are a tremendous benefit. Also if you are offered an epidural/spinal block as well as the GA this is another great benefit.
Please don't think your body has let you down - I felt a bit like that initially, but now I feel as if I have been given back a better, fitter body. You will probably feel quite tired after the surgery and also will likely be a bit emotional and tearful, which is natural (hormones - even at 60+) and you will need to rest and take it easy as is advised - it is important, but these things will pass. Just take all the help that is available for the first few weeks and don't overdo things and get over-tired. Best wishes Cate and I will be thinking of you. Rena

PS If you wan't to PM me I am more than happy to chat about anything you wish to ask me so don't hesitate.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

22-08-2011, 08:58 PM

Aerolor, what a reassuring and comforting post; thanks for sharing your story.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Here I am tearful again and thinking that it is like having some very dear friends who are there for me. I have never met any of you but you are all so caring and your caring is making me feel beeter.

Aerolor/Rena, thank you for sharing your own difficult time the fact that everyone I had heard of who has had this procedure all seemed to be younger than me. It is a comfort to know that you and I are similar in age.

Tomorrow I will be seeing a nurse and my husband will come with me. I will ask all the questions I need to. I am not too afraid of discomfort but I don't want to die. I have too much to live for and the night time horrors are a little bit better since I have takin night time medication just to get me to sleep so I don't lie awake thinking of the very worst thing that can happen.

Thank you sooooooo much from the bottom of my heart for being so open, candid and caring. I feel very emotional at the moment but in a good way.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Here I am tearful again and thinking that it is like having some very dear friends who are there for me. I have never met any of you but you are all so caring and your caring is making me feel beeter.

Aerolor/Rena, thank you for sharing your own difficult time the fact that everyone I had heard of who has had this procedure all seemed to be younger than me. It is a comfort to know that you and I are similar in age.

Tomorrow I will be seeing a nurse and my husband will come with me. I will ask all the questions I need to. I am not too afraid of discomfort but I don't want to die. I have too much to live for and the night time horrors are a little bit better since I have takin night time medication just to get me to sleep so I don't lie awake thinking of the very worst thing that can happen.

Thank you sooooooo much from the bottom of my heart for being so open, candid and caring. I feel very emotional at the moment but in a good way.
Hi Cate in these situations (when you are a little apprehensive) it is easy to forget some of the things you wish to ask so I would suggest doing what I do, make a list and take it with you.

Good luck with your meeting, I think it may help to put your mind at ease a little ...
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks Meg, thats me too the great list maker. There are quite a few questions I need to ask about diet, how long I will be in hospital, etc. Thanks for the suggestion.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Sorry you are having to deal with this cookie but it has to be for the best. I hope you settle down soon as it must be an upsetting shock for you. I haven't had any experience myself so unable to help you there. I can send good vibes your way though and wish you well.

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top