Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:32 AM

Re: Do you find celebrity chefs patronising?

Yeah, what's all that about: taking a kitchen "on the road"?! Who wants to watch somebody running around a kitchen in a local city hall stage show?
That's just daft and a fad tbh.

Hey Floydy. I'm not sure if that is a response to my comment.I'll clarify..if it is. Maybe I should have chosen different words. I'm not talking about a "stage show" as such. I was talking about eating at a restaurant where the chef has a (great) reputation because of the quality and originality of his/ her food. And is therefore a "celebrity" in the city; as opposed to a television show. In many of these places the chef will chat to and answer questions from the patrons. They don't see themselves as above talking to the people that give them their reputation - their customers. I can't speak for what happens in your part of the world. Here it's not a fad. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. And..Daft?...that means stupid right? Not sure.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:01 AM

I like cooking, I like food progs on TV, I like watching people preparing food, I can even watch it with the sound muted, it's relaxing.

There are a couple of aspects I don't like:
1 .... the competition, the camera following the loser out the door, the snivelling. I used to like Ready Steady Cook tho.
2 .... the piggery, Man v Food type progs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:02 AM

I guess some are a bit patronising, I like Raymond Blanc and Michel Roux Jr and don't find them patronising but knowledgeable and informative.

A lot of so called 'celebrity chefs' are not what I would call good cooks with their pretentious ''smears, foams, dust, and espumas'' I think they would be better suited to becoming artists as 'the look' seems to be everything.

I rarely eat meat now but like pink beef, I draw the line at almost raw lamb and even worse 'pink pork'.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Keezoy
And..Daft?...that means stupid right? Not sure...
No, Daft isn't such a strong term as Stupid.
Stupid is rather rude, Daft us lighter and fluffier, more of a soufflé!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by judd ->
my pet hate is how they cook lamb so it's still pink in the middle so much so that a good vet could probably get it back on its feet. Meat should be cooked properly not left borderline raw.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The only chef I have any time for is Raymond Blanc even if he's a Frenchman. He seems to be a nice bloke, is an excellent chef and is very enthusiastic about what he cooks.
You do need the subtitles on though. His voice sounds like one of the Muppets.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-06-2019, 09:56 AM

The only one I like watching is Rick Stein but particularly his India series, just because I love real Indian food. The Hairy Bikers are not bad either, they seem down to earth.

Something that annoys me with the celebrity chef programmes is when they obviously cut the film because a dish hasn't gone quite right, then they insert a new attempt hoping we don't notice. Sometimes it is so obvious.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 12:28 PM

No, Daft isn't such a strong term as Stupid.
Stupid is rather rude, Daft us lighter and fluffier, more of a soufflé!!

Haha. Love it. Thanks ruthio. I'll use that one.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 01:37 PM

I love the hairy bikers. I also like seeing those clips of keith floyd where he is cooking something delish outdoors in between gulps of plonk. Raymond blanc and his passionate approach.

But theres a long list of annoying chefs.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I love the hairy bikers. I also like seeing those clips of keith floyd where he is cooking something delish outdoors in between gulps of plonk. Raymond blanc and his passionate approach.

But theres a long list of annoying chefs.
Oh Keith Floyd was a legend wasn't he? Slowly getting sozzled on the vino whilst tossing a steak. Great entertainer and chef.
I wasn't named after him by the way, Annie

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top